HMS Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMS Victory

Going down to Portsmouth today to see HMS Victory. Not been before and really looking forward to seeing the most famous warship in the world!!! She looks fantastic on the website, am really excited. Hope the weather holds as i want some decent photos.

HMS Victory is a quality day out, I have been a few times and really enjoyed it, the misses was not too keen on the going up/down parts of the ship but I think she enjoyed it too. If you like that sort of thing I recently went and had a look round HMS Belfast on the Thames which is also good.

Comment

I've been the once and i thoroughly enjoyed it more than i thought i would.I wasn't able to see the other ship there as they had all the mast etc taken off and doing some big maintenance on the ship
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I went a couple of months ago get a ticket to visit everything brilliant have fun
        Attached Files
        www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Went there when i was a nipper, loved it.
          Working at last.......

Comment

Originally posted by LURCH
            Went there when i was a nipper, loved it.
            but..................your not safe near water!!
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
              but..................your not safe near water!!
              Ah but that was before i learnt to drive, any way ain't it in a dry dock.
              Go do some work poo head.
              Working at last.......

Comment

HMS Victory is the world's oldest commissioned warship i.e. she is STILL in service and is the flagship of the Second Sea Lord.

I know this cos my Staff Manager used to be the Captain - that's what I call a claim to fame !

The Historic Dockyard is far more than a days visit - I'm not sure if it's still available but they used to sell a 2 year ticket We paid around £80 for the five of us and we went there LOADS of times. It's cracking value for money and we must have done the harbour tour 4 or 5 times and probably saw every ship in the fleet (apart from those silly boat things up in Scotland)

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

You'll have a great day andy, the sergeon's bay makes ya arse crimp a bit and you'll probably bang your head a few times but it's a great experience, dont forget the warrior too,
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Anyone wanting to visit better be quick cos when i went the gov had sold nearly the entire fleet god help us they don't look like planning to replace many.

I hope we never have another Emergency.
                    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
                      I went a couple of months ago get a ticket to visit everything brilliant have fun

I bet it didn't look that clean when it was in service,

I did two years of my apprenticeship at chathan dockyard, where HMS Victory was built, the shed in which it was constructed is still there.

It's a shame they don't have it docked in it's true home, but Maggie Thatcher closed chatham dockyard back in 1982 and put 5000 men and women out of work, and another 5000 from the local support industries, the medway towns were devastated for years afterwards.

Anyhoo, my claim to fame is that I made parts of the mould for Charles and Diana's wedding cake ( one of the chefs at chatham dockyard cooked the cake)
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                        I bet it didn't look that clean when it was in service,

I did two years of my apprenticeship at chathan dockyard, where HMS Victory was built, the shed in which it was constructed is still there.

It's a shame they don't have it docked in it's true home, but Maggie Thatcher closed chatham dockyard back in 1982 and put 5000 men and women out of work, and another 5000 from the local support industries, the medway towns were devastated for years afterwards.

Anyhoo, my claim to fame is that I made parts of the mould for Charles and Diana's wedding cake ( one of the chefs at chatham dockyard cooked the cake)
                        Was there plumbing involved in the cake then?

my claim to fame is Barbra Winsor waved to me (and me mate) in piccadilly circus,
                        also saw Des O,conner, (he did'nt wave to me tho, stuck up barsteward)
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE
                          Was there plumbing involved in the cake then?

my claim to fame is Barbra Winsor waved to me (and me mate) in piccadilly circus,
                          A marine plumbing apprenticeship involved a lot more than plumbing, like the first thre months of "basic hand skills", which involved learning how to file things flat for eight hours a day for several weeks, how to use various sizes of hammers etc.

I was told to make some brass brackets from a technical drawing, to be bent at a specific angle with drilled and countersunk screwholes, and they were inpected, and had to be sent for "approveal" ( at this stage I was not told what they were for, official secrets and all that)

Anyhoo the chippy apprentices got to make the wooden parts of the mould from old english oak, and we were told what it was all about when the wedding was over, as they were terified of the press getting hold of any info regarding the cake and it's shape and size etc.

Seems trivial now.
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE

Been in Eastenders
                            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                              Been in Eastenders

You're not Pat Butcher are you???
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X