Post fuel filter change questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sledge
    thanks guys so if i want to try it then i can do it without mods, is that right?
    Yep but it does feel strange filling up yor truck with veg oil...

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
      Yep but it does feel strange filling up yor truck with veg oil...
      cheers mark

Comment

would my fuel filter pump seals be hard to get as it is a pre face lift one 89 reg
        ...over to
        Apache to answer that one........

Comment

would my fuel filter pump seals be hard to get as it is a pre face lift one 89 reg
          If it's a mechanical pump then yes....dificult to get and to replace, if it's the EFI then no.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
            If it's a mechanical pump then yes....dificult to get and to replace, if it's the EFI then no.
            it's the mechanical one, so would it be wise to start using veg, as up to date had no probs with fuel pump

Comment

it's the mechanical one, so would it be wise to start using veg, as up to date had no probs with fuel pump
              I think it would be better to track the seals down first then go for the veg oil with yours. I started using veg oil on July 1st and now need to do seals and from what I have read alot of folks who started then having similar teething probs

Comment

ok cool, thanks for the help

Comment

Mine actually started leaking before I started using SVO, so I guess my seals were just u/s.

The seal that is leaking on mine requires the pump out and a full strip down, so not an easy job.

I am hoping to get a s/h pump from a site member, and if it's good then put it in, although it's an eight hour job to change a mechanical IP so it might pay to have the s/h one reconditioned first then fit it, and then recon my old one and sell it on.
                  Rob

Comment

when did they change from mech to electronic Rob? Have all the 3.0s always been electronic in that case?
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Mpg

Originally posted by madcampbell
                      No just pour it in and off you go...I started 50/50 now am 70/30 veg(70)

Lumpy start..bit smoky then fine..slight drop in performance for the first few miles then fine..need to changed fuel filter now after? 150 ltrs of veg oil as I have a lumpy tickover. My fuel pump seals are now leaking so will have to change them ..but on the whole alls good
                      Hi Guys,
                      contemplating running on Veg Oil and was just wondering if there is a difference in how many miles to the gallon you get on veg as opposed to running just on diesel?
                      My other car is a Red Hot Mini !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                        when did they change from mech to electronic Rob? Have all the 3.0s always been electronic in that case?
                        They changed about 1990/1, if you have EFI stamped on your air intake, then it's electronic, but I'm pretty sure that the seals will be the same, as the pump body would be the same.

If it turns out yours is a pump out job, then check the Oz site, as Toyota were selling a 5B300 pump for a couple of hundred quid, which will fit.

Ledgendmaster pu on in his surf, although his is a 2.4, I can't see why it wouldn't fit a 3.0ltr.
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by jofestus
                          Hi Guys,
                          contemplating running on Veg Oil and was just wondering if there is a difference in how many miles to the gallon you get on veg as opposed to running just on diesel?

Not a great deal in it as far as I can see, maybe 1 or 2 mpg less/more
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                            They changed about 1990/1, if you have EFI stamped on your air intake, then it's electronic, but I'm pretty sure that the seals will be the same, as the pump body would be the same.

If it turns out yours is a pump out job, then check the Oz site, as Toyota were selling a 5B300 pump for a couple of hundred quid, which will fit.

Ledgendmaster pu on in his surf, although his is a 2.4, I can't see why it wouldn't fit a 3.0ltr.
                            Seems to have pretty much stopped leaking this morning.

I dont think I need the pump out for the two top seals (the round one looks like the culprit) so it SHOULD be a cheap and easy job.

Might ask Tony to do it when I'm down there for other stuff next month if he's got time...
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                              Seems to have pretty much stopped leaking this morning.

I dont think I need the pump out for the two top seals (the round one looks like the culprit) so it SHOULD be a cheap and easy job.

Might ask Tony to do it when I'm down there for other stuff next month if he's got time...

My leak tends to come and go, have you put 100% derv in? as that can give the seals a boost, also atf or redex can help in the short term.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X