Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post fuel filter change questions

Hi All,

so today i changed the fuel filter for the first time.

Got truck 2 weeks ago. Ran 300 miles on pure diesel, another 350ish on 25% veg, and just filled up with 30l veg and 25l diesel.

Going down the duel carriageway, she did not want to accelerate much over 40, especially not putting foot down hard.

So changed fuel filter (never done that before, so a first for me).

Filled with fuel before putting filter lid on, as primer did not seem to work so well. Then pumped primer for a while.

Question 1 - When I turned the ignition on, I noticed the check engine warning light was on. Does this come on every time you start the engine? Maybe I just never noticed it before.

Question 2 - When I did start the engine, it ran very rough for a couple of minutes, did not want to rev past 1000 etc. What if anything did I do wrong? Or is this normal for the first couple of minutes?

Other than that, running OK again, had a good drive round local street, then some country lanes, then dual carriageway before attempting motorway, and pulling well again.

Question 3 - When you start running on veg mix, how regularly do you need to change fuel filter, and how many times does it need to be done before normal intervals resume?

Thanks folks, it's good to be back, the car's fab

Neil

Engine check light probably came on because you weren't getting a consistent fuel feed after changing the filter, hence the primer. Same reason for the rough running. You need to pump it till it goes hard (ooer missus!). The engine check light IS one before the engine starts, as a lamp check.

I guess frequency of fuel filter change depends on how dirty your tank / system was before you started running on veg. One change a few weeks after starting on veg was OK for me, now I'm back to normal intervals. Will change it again in a few weeks before I go for my MOT.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by naphar
      Hi All,

so today i changed the fuel filter for the first time.

Got truck 2 weeks ago. Ran 300 miles on pure diesel, another 350ish on 25% veg, and just filled up with 30l veg and 25l diesel.

Going down the duel carriageway, she did not want to accelerate much over 40, especially not putting foot down hard.

So changed fuel filter (never done that before, so a first for me).

Filled with fuel before putting filter lid on, as primer did not seem to work so well. Then pumped primer for a while.

Question 1 - When I turned the ignition on, I noticed the check engine warning light was on. Does this come on every time you start the engine? Maybe I just never noticed it before.

Question 2 - When I did start the engine, it ran very rough for a couple of minutes, did not want to rev past 1000 etc. What if anything did I do wrong? Or is this normal for the first couple of minutes?

Other than that, running OK again, had a good drive round local street, then some country lanes, then dual carriageway before attempting motorway, and pulling well again.

Question 3 - When you start running on veg mix, how regularly do you need to change fuel filter, and how many times does it need to be done before normal intervals resume?

Thanks folks, it's good to be back, the car's fab

Neil
      all sounds pretty normal,maybe a bit long (few minutes running rough) but you appear to have rid the system of air,
      you will need to change the filter "a few" times before you have cleared the tank of crud.just keep a supply handy and by he 3rd filter you should be okay(famous last words).some take one filter change some take several,just depends how much dirt ther is in tank

good luck
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks, that's good to know.
        As long as the check engine lamp is supposed to be on prior to starting I'm happy, just had not noticed it before

Comment

I've been runnng 75% veg for a while now, been to Wales and back too, still haven't changed the fuel filter yet ( probably conk out tomorrow)
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
            all sounds pretty normal,maybe a bit long (few minutes running rough) but you appear to have rid the system of air,
            you will need to change the filter "a few" times before you have cleared the tank of crud.just keep a supply handy and by he 3rd filter you should be okay(famous last words).some take one filter change some take several,just depends how much dirt ther is in tank

good luck
            I keep a spare in a side pocket in the boot. Only need to be put on hand tight so you can change them without tools.

Comment

i have just changed my fuel filter today also.After having to have a lift home on the back of a recovery truck on Monday when i had the new exhaust fitted.Got the truck home and it was driving alright so i didn't know what the problem was.When i emptied the fuel out of the old filter there were a few biggish lumps of $$$$ in it so i take it this was what caused the loss of power etc on Monday.I filled the new filter with atf before fitting and took the truck for a 8 mile thrashing and all seems ok now.
              I was running on a good 95% mix last week and week before and the truck did start to get lumpy on tick-over and gradually got worse till it started to cut out.It will have a good run on Weds/Thurs hopefully when i go up to Tony and Lindas
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

My check engine light always comes on when ignition is turned on, and i dont have any problems with mine. That should should be your problems away pal.
                Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

that's what i'm going to do, keep a spare in the car, with a cut off bottle to drain the fuel into and pour into the new one to make priming easier (making sure not to pur in the sediment!)

Now I ave done it once, not so daunting

Comment

my sound like a stupid question but, do you need to do any mods to run on veg???????

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                      my sound like a stupid question but, do you need to do any mods to run on veg???????
                      Yep. New seals for the injector pump

It seems not in the warmer weather, but as the weather gets cooler you need to use a bigger derv ratio as the veg thickens in colder weather.

OR you can go the whole hog with heaters, dual tanks etc... check the veg oil sticky thread.

Comment

yep...get your nose acustomed to the new smell.Just get some of Tesco or similar finest and pour into the tank.Just have a spare fuel filter at hand as the svo can loosen the crud in the tank
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks guys so if i want to try it then i can do it without mods, is that right?

Comment

No just pour it in and off you go...I started 50/50 now am 70/30 veg(70)

Lumpy start..bit smoky then fine..slight drop in performance for the first few miles then fine..need to changed fuel filter now after? 150 ltrs of veg oil as I have a lumpy tickover. My fuel pump seals are now leaking so will have to change them ..but on the whole alls good

Comment

would my fuel filter pump seals be hard to get as it is a pre face lift one 89 reg

Comment

Working...
                              X