New Printer + Costly Inks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Printer + Costly Inks.

Had a little spare cash last month so decided to upgrade from my trusty Epson C66 to an Epson R265. Always had Epson printers and they have never let me down, also always used compatible inks once the genuines run out. The R265 is a great medium range printer at a reasonable price and it also prints CD's so I felt it was a perfect choice.

All went well until I came to renew the ink cartridges. I have always used Printwrite compatibles without any issues but when I tried to buy them for the R265 I found that Epson had installed a new version chip in April 2007 which will no doubt take time to crack. To buy a full set of genuine Epson inks is only £10 short of what I paid for the printer brand new.

I fail to see why you can't use compatibles. You've bought the printer, it's yours, so surely it's up to you which inks you install. If you knack the heads up then tough, it's your own fault, you bear the cost of replacing it.

There's no way I'm paying £35 to £40 for a set of inks so the printers just sitting here waiting for working compatibles to come out (in fact I think they are now available, before anyone points this out). So it's back to using my trusty C66 (full set of compatibles for a fiver)!
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

are these the ones? http://www.mymemory.co.uk/ink-select...D=829&makeID=2
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
      Yep, that's them. But they may be for the pre April 2007 R265's. Even so that's still £24 for a set of 6 compatibles.

You've got to remember that I'm a tight sod and want everything as cheap as possible!

Comment

I grabbed myself a laser, I got fed up of inks drying out.

Yes a full set of replacements are as expensive as a new printer, but I've had it over 2 years and not used a cartridge yet
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Copycat
          Had a little spare cash last month so decided to upgrade from my trusty Epson C66 to an Epson R265. Always had Epson printers and they have never let me down, also always used compatible inks once the genuines run out. The R265 is a great medium range printer at a reasonable price and it also prints CD's so I felt it was a perfect choice.

All went well until I came to renew the ink cartridges. I have always used Printwrite compatibles without any issues but when I tried to buy them for the R265 I found that Epson had installed a new version chip in April 2007 which will no doubt take time to crack. To buy a full set of genuine Epson inks is only £10 short of what I paid for the printer brand new.

I fail to see why you can't use compatibles. You've bought the printer, it's yours, so surely it's up to you which inks you install. If you knack the heads up then tough, it's your own fault, you bear the cost of replacing it.

There's no way I'm paying £35 to £40 for a set of inks so the printers just sitting here waiting for working compatibles to come out (in fact I think they are now available, before anyone points this out). So it's back to using my trusty C66 (full set of compatibles for a fiver)!
          The chip thing should not be an issue as it was cracked by compatibles six weeks after they were released. This I know by experience with my epson DX6050 bought in March. 6 inks for an R265 are £10.99 on ebay check with the seller if they are the new chip I am sure they will be.
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

After years with EPSON Printers i neede a new one as my C60 was getting old & INK was hard to come by, So i bought a CANON MP460 all in one for £49 from ARGOS. I always look at Cartridge prices 1st as it can get very costly.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

I have a Canon printer, it works well, and the inks are cheap. Even the genuine Canon inks are cheap, but the compatibles are silly cheap - around 50p
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Now dropped a right bollock! Bought one of the continuous ink supply units for £35 only to find that my R265 is the earlier model with a different chip set !!

Boy am I having a numb week!! Unfortunately I can't return it as I have already tried it. So if anyone has an Epson R265 built after May 2007 and wants an as new continuous ink system I'm looking for £25 which includes postage.

Can post a pic if it helps.

Comment

cant you get the old cartridge re-filled at a filling place
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

It's not the cartridge mate, it's the chip. Once the chip tells the printer the cartridge is empty, that's it, goodnight Vienna! Time to get a new cartridge, as yet I don't think there are any chip resetters on the market for the R265. Will go and have a 'Google' now (ooh, err, missus!)

Comment

LEXMARK are cheap but the Cartridges are very expensive
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                      X