Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still discussing - Petrol vs Diesel??

Hi guys

Thanks for all the input and the info on my request. As for the old man taking it scuba diving - I'll make sure that it has all the fins and air tanks that it needs

Well we are still trying to decide between the 2 options. I've test driven a couple of 3.0L diesels this weekend and I'm still not convinced that they are better than the petrol one. I found the petrol far more peppy from a standing start then the diesel. And getting upto a decent open road speed was a bit sluggish in the diesel, regardless of what anyone has said about it performing as good as petrol. I'm still not convinced about the automatic thing either. My first 4WD experience was in a double cab hilux manual with a mate from the local 4WD club - I just can't see myself doing stuff with an auto like I did on that first trip.

On the mechanical side, I've also had all sorts of differing opinions on cracked cylinder heads and whether they are more common with the petrol or diesel models and the recommendations of reboring the diesel engines.

What it will come down to I think is running costs. We regularly do around 100-120 km a day, and I think we will be trading this off against the performance aspect. I'm still plugging for my manual petrol one, but I suspect it could be a losing battle - unless I want to tow a petrol tanker behind me!

Cheers

Fight your corner! hehe, Manual V6 petrol motors are fun if you can afford the MPG.

3.0TD doesn't have any more head issues than any other diesel car. V6 motors (90-93ish) had a batch of dodgy head gaskets that the dealer should warrenty for you if it crops up. Don't last more than 50,000miles, so should have shown up by now. You can tell from the Vin No's at a Toyota Dealer if it is one.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

dont tow the petrol tanker, it will make fuel consumption worse
      ask him to follow you

Comment

We've been through this in NZ

We looked and looked and looked 8 years ago, and went for the Deisel. We drove all makes of petrol and deisel, and decided the Surf had the best ride etc. Back then the 3.0 D was hellish expensive to buy, even the 2.4 was NZ$23 000! No regrets at all. Okay, ihad to fit a 2nd hand eng at 200 000km and LOTS of CV boots, but other than filters,oil etc it has been exellent. We will soon be trading up to a 3.0D and it will definatly be an auto, as they are simply less stressful to drive ,ie less driver fatigue. Drive 6 hours in an auto, then 6 in a manual and you will see what I mean.As to performance versus cost, I beleive a Turbo/intercooled 3.0 cannot be beaten. What other vehicle this size will offer power to spare , towing ability, comfort and quietness, and economy ?

Comment

Originally posted by Leatrix
          Hi guys

Thanks for all the input and the info on my request. As for the old man taking it scuba diving - I'll make sure that it has all the fins and air tanks that it needs

Well we are still trying to decide between the 2 options. I've test driven a couple of 3.0L diesels this weekend and I'm still not convinced that they are better than the petrol one. I found the petrol far more peppy from a standing start then the diesel. And getting upto a decent open road speed was a bit sluggish in the diesel, regardless of what anyone has said about it performing as good as petrol. I'm still not convinced about the automatic thing either. My first 4WD experience was in a double cab hilux manual with a mate from the local 4WD club - I just can't see myself doing stuff with an auto like I did on that first trip.

On the mechanical side, I've also had all sorts of differing opinions on cracked cylinder heads and whether they are more common with the petrol or diesel models and the recommendations of reboring the diesel engines.

What it will come down to I think is running costs. We regularly do around 100-120 km a day, and I think we will be trading this off against the performance aspect. I'm still plugging for my manual petrol one, but I suspect it could be a losing battle - unless I want to tow a petrol tanker behind me!

Cheers
          For straight line power you can't beat a petrol, however for mid range grunt and overall Torque (which is what you really want when off road or towing) then a Diesel does it every time - unless we are talking a really big V8.

Personally I find an Auto a lot better off road but I think that this is down to driving style.

In actual fact I think it all come down to personal preference as driving style comes into it so much. Which ever one you go for then you won't be dissapointed, just less to go wrong generally with a Diesel and you won't have to worry about waterproofing so much as you ain't got the ignition system to worry about.

Cheers

Comment

The first (and every time) you get the electrics wet you'll wish you'd bought the diesel- important consideration if want to drive though a flood or go offroading.

Nevillef

Comment

Working...
            X