X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for the intercooler lads.

Im looking at fitting an intercooler to bump up the bhp

browsing Ebay there seem to be so many.

I plan on a top mount, What intercooler does everyone advise getting?
    Does size bear any corelation (sp?) to power increase? EG: The more air i can cooler quicker, the more power gain? Also, is it possible without a body lift?

thanks!

Purely from what i have been told a body lift is recommended, cos it needs to be =away from the block to avoid heat transferance. Also front mount is very expensive and requires alot of silicone hosing, leading to great cost.

So body lift 1 and half inch , and top mount is most effective.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach

Im looking at fitting an intercooler to bump up the bhp

browsing Ebay there seem to be so many.

I plan on a top mount, What intercooler does everyone advise getting?
      Does size bear any corelation (sp?) to power increase? EG: The more air i can cooler quicker, the more power gain? Also, is it possible without a body lift?

thanks!

See here for fitting an intercooler without a bodylift....
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25690

You don't need a large 'cooler, as you won't be needing huge amounts of boost. Any more than 14psi and the ECU will step in and call it a day!

Comment

Cheers for the replys!!

Im very tempted by the side mount, That surf is dieselboys now isnt it?

If you read this dieselboy, Could you maybe post a picture of the side scoop please mate??

Comment

rod i was thinking about this when i was driving about earlier. i remember you saying yours is slow, and me saying yes its slow but not that slow etc etc...

what the previous owner did to mine is fit an L200 intercooler on the passenger side. i dont have a body lift and it fits fine. the inlets and outlets are on the same side (yes not the best but it works ok).
          it bolts to where the wing is and is fine. ive also got a bonnet scoop thats similar sort of size to the cooler so that air passes over it.
          im only running 9-10psi right now and i can get over 90. when i set the boost to 12 you can feel that turbo come in.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
            rod i was thinking about this when i was driving about earlier. i remember you saying yours is slow, and me saying yes its slow but not that slow etc etc...

what the previous owner did to mine is fit an L200 intercooler on the passenger side. i dont have a body lift and it fits fine. the inlets and outlets are on the same side (yes not the best but it works ok).
            it bolts to where the wing is and is fine. ive also got a bonnet scoop thats similar sort of size to the cooler so that air passes over it.
            im only running 9-10psi right now and i can get over 90. when i set the boost to 12 you can feel that turbo come in.

Sounds like the perfect set up, considering im not planning on a body lift really. Didnt know the inlet/outlet being on the same side was good or bad!!

Do you have any pics of the scoop?

Comment

no problemo

heres the pics your after.
              there is a couple of things wrong with my setup just right now, mainly the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler is too small in diameter. i havnt got round to getting these fabricated up propperly just yet.
              also where the mechanic changed the power steering fluid he un-screwed one of the bolts holding the intercooler on to get to the resevoir and the bolt snapped. so now the turbo pipes have moved and have slightly started to touch. this happened in france and it sounded like the engine was about to fall apart! like big ends or something... its why ive got paper stuck in there temporarily
              you can see the boost gauge fitted to the dash, and the cone air filter fitted right onto the turbo.
              since i moved the air filter i get a load of turbo whistle - i dont dislike it. i also get a loud dump of air when i take my foot off. if im stuck in the mud and tapping the throttle to try and get me out i also get turbo chatter. not sure why..
              Attached Files
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

got my eye on a intercooler on fleabay so may be joining the ranks
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                  heres the pics your after.
                  there is a couple of things wrong with my setup just right now, mainly the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler is too small in diameter. i havnt got round to getting these fabricated up propperly just yet.
                  also where the mechanic changed the power steering fluid he un-screwed one of the bolts holding the intercooler on to get to the resevoir and the bolt snapped. so now the turbo pipes have moved and have slightly started to touch. this happened in france and it sounded like the engine was about to fall apart! like big ends or something... its why ive got paper stuck in there temporarily
                  you can see the boost gauge fitted to the dash, and the cone air filter fitted right onto the turbo.
                  since i moved the air filter i get a load of turbo whistle - i dont dislike it. i also get a loud dump of air when i take my foot off. if im stuck in the mud and tapping the throttle to try and get me out i also get turbo chatter. not sure why..
                  That looks a feck site easier to set up than mine!! and you dont need a dam great scoop, you finding it ok with no fan? mines has a temp switch which cuts the fan in at 40c and the bugga stays on for the duration of the journey then, i'm picking up a lot of heat sink to the cooler, you'd think with a scoop that size it'd draw in loads of fresh air but the fans still on even when i'm doing 70 -80 mph, engines still running at about 90c on a long run, i give up,
                  Attached Files
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

i think its ok with no fan, you really notice it just when the suns gone down and your driving in the country lanes. ive not tried it with a fan so i dont know what it would be like.
                    my friends pajero has a fan on his, but pajeros are slow anyway, his fan stays on a lot he says.

you know you will get better results if your using a fan and you set it up to pull air away from the cooler, rather than have it blowing onto/to it. you get better air flow the other way - we do it on computers heat sink to keep the cpu cool. on something that small and hot they have proved average of 2*c less under load temps.

you see your scoop, is it the exact same size as the cooler? you might have to fit a shroud like the scoobies have to direct air right onto your cooler. if the air finds it hard to get through it, it may well just go round the sides.

also thats a $$$$$$ great fan, and the centre of it blocks up a load of space. if you are using your car on the motor way i would take that off. anything say40mph+ and its going to be preventing the air flowing through it in my opinion.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                      That looks a feck site easier to set up than mine!! and you dont need a dam great scoop, you finding it ok with no fan? mines has a temp switch which cuts the fan in at 40c and the bugga stays on for the duration of the journey then, i'm picking up a lot of heat sink to the cooler, you'd think with a scoop that size it'd draw in loads of fresh air but the fans still on even when i'm doing 70 -80 mph, engines still running at about 90c on a long run, i give up,
                      WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU GOT YOURS FROM TOYS-R-US
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                        WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU GOT YOURS FROM TOYS-R-US
                        dont want to pick holes or owt,

but aint your r's round the wrong way
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Mines a 3rd GEN INTERCOOLED as Standard
                          Attached Files
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

i think we should all get 3rd gens
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Dieselboy - I see you've got Javars old truck. He took the cone filter off (didn't like the noise) and had a large pipe going around the back of the engine bay.

If you're thinking of doing some work on your set up I would have thought getting cool air into the turbo would be the way to go (rather than using the hot air from the engine bay).

Maybe fit a similar scoop on the LHS of the bonnet??????
                              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
                              X