cv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv

i remember someone on here asking about cv's and someone saying they got theirs typed up by a proffessional.. think its time i did that
    can someone point me in the right direction?
    and also if someone knows where to get good interview advice for all those terrible questions they ask that would be a great help also
    thanks

you can guess whats happened
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Can't help with professional sites but a bit of advice from my step-daughter who is an HR Manager. If you can't impress on page one, yours will likely go in the bin. Heading should be your name, address and contact information (phone/mobile/e-mail - you want them to contact YOU). Having had to interview people, I've probably turned down interviewing any number because the CV didn't impress, being pages long on every little thing they had to do in their previous job.

Keep it to no more than two A4 pages, with preferably the most important info on the first page. Heavy on skills, experience and achievements (bullet points and one liners if necessary), light on what you had to do day to day in your last job (unless it's exactly the same, your last job will have no bearing on the one you're going for now, as everyone does things differently).

Don't labour on about your hobbies or interests unless you are filling in one of those forms that companies send out where they want all that c r a p, as well as a CV. Don't give details of all your schools attended (unless it's one of the really good ones) or school qualifications unless they are relevant. If you need to be able to read, write and add up to do the job, then GCSE's in English and Maths are a must, but they probably don't want to see all your qualifications in needlework, media studies or whatever the flavour of the month was back then. Simple: X GCSE's including (main subjects) will do, same for A Levels.

Hope you get sorted with a new job quickly.
    Mike G

Comment

Agree with Mike.

My mate had a pro one written as part of his transfer package when the place he worked at closed down. I used it as a template when I looked to change jobs recently, and got the first job I applied for!

All contact details at the top of first page, then all recent experience and important (saleable / transferable) skills at the top of the page. Qualifications etc come last. Pitch it at the job you are looking at. They wont be interested in irrelevant skills.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
        i remember someone on here asking about cv's and someone saying they got theirs typed up by a proffessional.. think its time i did that
        can someone point me in the right direction?
        and also if someone knows where to get good interview advice for all those terrible questions they ask that would be a great help also
        thanks

you can guess whats happened
        IT MAY HAVE BEEN ME ! It did cost £150 & i must admit i got a lot more Response. http://www.thefullercv.com/
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

You can also try job sites for info on CV's interviews ect... Tyr Monster.co.uk
          or jobsinkent.co.uk and fish4jobs.

Mark....
          Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

cheers for your help u lot.
            im useless at these interview questions. i dont know what it is.. out of the interview im ok, but in the interview they always seem that they are too difficult to come up with something. the HR person in the interview yesterday really caught me out, and it threw the whole thing. what makes it even more stupid is i still work in the same building. talk about going from bad to worse, i would have felt better not going for the interview in the first place.
            what can prepare me better for these questions other than keep going for interviews?
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Negative Factors
              During the interview the client will continually making assessments of your performance. The client will remember the negative factors more then the positives; you must limit the clients opportunities to criticise your performance.

Poor personal appearance
              Week handshake and poor eye contact
              Aggressive, overbearing manor
              Poor communication with client
              Lack of preparation and research
              Lack of paper and pen
              Not enough copies of your c.v.
              Condemnation of past employers
              Lack of enthusiasm for the interview
              Lack of career planning, goals and aspirations
              Poor understanding and explanation of reasons for leaving
              Failure to question the client
              Failure to close the interview

Suggested Questions
              How will my role work, day to day?
              What responsibilities will I have?
              Who would I report to?
              What will I be expected to do in the first 6 months/1st year?
              What is the average lead time?
              How many accounts will be on my territory?
              How much of time will be dedicated to new business?
              What are the companies plans for the next 5 years?
              How could that affect my progression opportunities?
              What succession plan is already in place? Ask for examples.
              What training will be provided? Internal or external?
              What is the interviewers background?
              What is the back ground of the team and your top sales person?
              What qualities make your top sales person so good?

Closing the InterviewHow to close to get the job
              Ask the client what concerns/reservations they have about you?
              What is the next stage?
              Who will be involved in the next stage?
              What is the structure of the interview?
              Do you require a presentation?
              When are you looking to conduct the 2nd interviews?
              Summary of your interest? (why you want the job)
              I am interested in the position, and it is clear that you have no reservations, is there any reason why I would not be taken forward to the 2nd interview?
              If the other candidates you see do not come across as well as me, will you take me back for a 2nd interview?
              If the client will not commit, make sure that you get a forward action of when they will be contacting you.

Enthusiasm is extremely expressive. If you like the job, let the client know, and why! You are showing the client that you have very refined sales skills. If you close the interview, they know you will close their clients for a sale. If you do not close the client they may have concerns about your sales skills.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

im printing that off! cheers!
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                X