do i shout or not advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i shout or not advice please

simple question this . my wife goes and pays money in to my personal account today . bank person says are you his wife she says yes but asks for no proof. then says well ya husband has a personal loan on his personal bank account do you think he might want to do another.
    1 my wife knows about the loan that aint the question

2 personal account personal loan
    3 should they be telling her about my persoanl banking details she banks at another bank and they dont even know her .
    and if they say she was paying money in i pay money in for friends who cant get to the bank .

is this right or not
    I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
    (i also juggle dynamite)

They have no right to Discuss your personal account with anyone including your Wife
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Unless it is a Joint account or written consent, they have no right to allow her access to any of your account details under the Data Protection Act.

I would bring it to the banks attention through their 'chain of command'

8 Principles of the DPA 1998

First Principle - "Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully"

Second Principle - "Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes"
      • Must consider what the data was obtained for and what it is intended to be used for.
      • Consider Human Rights Act
      • Can not make the decision retrospectively - therefore maintain adequate attendance notes and file notes to create a robust audit trail
      • Commissioner takes a strict view and it is not sufficient to rely upon notification records
      Third Principle - "Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purposes for which they are processed"
      • Must hold the minimum amount of information which enables the task to be performed
      • Not acceptable to hold information on the basis it will be useful in the future
      • Must regularly seek to review the information as that which was adequate, may no longer be adequate and in fact be excessive
      Fourth Principle - "Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date"
      • There will not be a breach if you can show you have taken "reasonable steps" to ensure accuracy.
      Fifth Principle - "Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes"
      • Some data must be kept for a period of time for example:
        in accordance with Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984
        CCTV code of conduct on recorded material
        Historical reasons
        Legal reasons (PI claims can be made three years after an accident)
        Employment references
      Sixth Principle - "Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this act"
      • You will not be in breach of this principle providing you comply with certain notices regarding the Rright to prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress, the
        right to prevent processing for purposes of direct marketing and you do not fail to treat a data request in accordance with the right of a data subject.
      Seventh Principle - "Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data"
      • Must consider the damage which will result from a breach of security (e.g. contractual negotiations) and the nature of the data to be protected (sensitive personal data)
      Eighth Principle - "Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area, unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protections to the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data"
      • The European Economic Area consists of 15 EC member states and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway
      • If in doubt, do not release without the express permission of the data subject and ensure that is in writing.
      • An exception to the Principle is similar to Schedule 3 i.e. necessary, or subject to a contract or reasons of substantial public interest, to obtain legal advice or defending legal rights
      Gaz

Comment

hi

hi guys hope your both well have to catch up soon as said wife knows but its got me blood boiling this one .
        I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
        (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
          hi guys hope your both well have to catch up soon as said wife knows but its got me blood boiling this one .

I would certainly bring it to the attention of the bank Darren. Write a formal letter expressing your concern at personal information being leaked to persons whether known or not and ask for some recourse in writing (may not be compensation) but at least it is on file.

If nothing is addressed then write to the information commissioner stating the facts and dates. http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/...rotection.aspx good source for info

The issue certainly seems to break the 6 and 7 principle.

PS: The DPA also complies to paper records.
          Last edited by Gizmo; 4 September 2007, 21:28.
          Gaz

Comment

Print off what GAZ has put & Quote it to the MANAGER.
            Yes we will need to get together again very soon
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

my mother does all of my parents accounts, but most cards are in my dads name primarily... usually i have to phone up pretending to be him so she can talk to them!!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                my mother does all of my parents accounts, but most cards are in my dads name primarily... usually i have to phone up pretending to be him so she can talk to them!!
                I would get the bank to allow joint access, otherwise you could be done for fraudulently obtaining / giving information
                Gaz

Comment

Gaz is spot on.. it falls under the DPA and they can get in some seriour trouble if you have not given permission for them to speak to anyone else about your account.

Manager needs a letter as do head office to start with. If they dont take it seriously go to the banking onbudsman.
                  -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Darren, as far as I am concerned, if a bank does something you don't think is right, then get onto them straight away. After all, you can be damn sure that if you did something they didn't like they'd be onto you.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

I can feel a nice compensation credit comming your way, I had an issue with my bank, yes they did sort it..eventually but I insisted that they accepted responsibillity, apologised and offered reccompence in writing, which they did.....eventually, I held their slowness to act against them, they offered £25 to start, after an interesting disscussion where the ombudsman and media were mentioned it went up to nearer £150.......I reluctantly accepted.
                      Do you know the whole attitude at my bank has completely changed, nothing is too much trouble, greeted by name etc, etc
                      Sometimes there are benifits to complaining .....If justified - yours is! Kerching!
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X