calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calipers?

Well, ive just come back from a drive and my discs and pads are smokin' literally! an the smell is horrible! Theres not much guts there either!

Im takin a stab in the dark that my calipers are seized?

are we in agreement on that?

Maybe i should just part ex it with a dodge ram!

Originally posted by RodLeach
    Well, ive just come back from a drive and my discs and pads are smokin' literally! an the smell is horrible! Theres not much guts there either!

Probably, or the pads are shot and its rubbing on the disc.

If you can afford a Dodge Ram, why are messing around with a 14 year old Surf?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Probably, or the pads are shot and its rubbing on the disc.

If you can afford a Dodge Ram, why are messing around with a 14 year old Surf?
      Hello tony, Its got new pads an discs so that rules that out... i think!!

An the Ram i like is 96-2001 models, Which aint much younger!

Loved the pic you put up of your old one!

Comment

If the discs were new did you clean them off before fitting? Most come with a protective coating which will smoke when first used for quite a few hefty miles and it will affect the braking until it has completely worn off.
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

Oppps hey rod bet the price for doing my discs and pads just went DOWN FORGET THE SNORKLE you can have a wing with the holes ready to fit one tho
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

if they are seized rod,the kit to do them and the job itself is easy. i did mine about a year ago, and im a mechanical numpty
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by pops
              Oppps hey rod bet the price for doing my discs and pads just went DOWN FORGET THE SNORKLE you can have a wing with the holes ready to fit one tho

Dang!

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
                If the discs were new did you clean them off before fitting? Most come with a protective coating which will smoke when first used for quite a few hefty miles and it will affect the braking until it has completely worn off.
                hmnn, That could be it! I used Manitou brake cleaner stuff. But i spose there could just be residue of somet else?!?

Comment

As long as you used brake cleaner to remove the protective layer of grease then all should be fine. If there was anything left it should burn off pretty fast. How many miles have you done since the new discs and pads? I've not had any discs or pads make smoke before, which suggests something is burning off....or they're getting insanely hot...but if they were that hot then you would more than likely notice that you had no brakes when you needed them (brake fade). But then again, how heavily were you using the brakes? If not much, then there shouldn't be much (or any) friction between the pads and disc....viscous circle...back to seized calipers!

Comment

Anyone who has a 15 year old vehicle and does not recon the calipers along with the pad change is just asking for trouble. The seals, both piston and outer dust wear over time. Outer dust seals in poor condition allow dirt and moisture to enter the piston area causing wear from the dirt and corrosion from moisture. Pistons must operate smoothly to allow the dust seals to return the piston into the bore for disc clearance. Hydraulic pressure will push the pistons out but unless the calipers are in top shape the brakes will not release. If it takes a lot of effort to push the pistons into the calipers then you can bet they need a rebuild.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                      if they are seized rod,the kit to do them and the job itself is easy. i did mine about a year ago, and im a mechanical numpty
                      so where do you buy the kit from and what does it involve.

cheers scotty

Comment

From what I've heard recently, caliper repair kits are very hard to find these days, in this country.

The brake manufacturere want you to buy replacements, not repair what you have.

It's the same old story, built in obselesence, you may be able to find something from overseas on t'internet.

Try here;

http://www.classic-car-directory.com....asp?id=Brakes
                        Last edited by plumb bob; 5 September 2007, 22:18.
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                        X