Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ M35a2

Thought you might be the bloke to ask Andy as you have one,
    just "won" a defender fuel tank and it comes with sender and short harness, do you know if its possible to connect any fuel gauge (dash) to it or will it have to be from a land rover 110 series, thinking about calibration issues, would you happen to have a pic of the gauge handy (andy)
    this is for my twin (veggie) tank set up BTW, measurements are fine for the old spare wheel area, cheers ian

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=016
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by ian619
    Thought you might be the bloke to ask Andy as you have one,
    just "won" a defender fuel tank and it comes with sender and short harness, do you know if its possible to connect any fuel gauge (dash) to it or will it have to be from a land rover 110 series, thinking about calibration issues, would you happen to have a pic of the gauge handy (andy)
    this is for my twin (veggie) tank set up BTW, measurements are fine for the old spare wheel area, cheers ian

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=016

Hi Ian.

The fuel tank you have is an 80lt rear fuel tank for a Defender 90/110, part No NTC 2017. From the pictures on Ebay I can't see if the tank comes with the locking ring that seals the sender unit into the tank. This is a locking ring and you WILL need this part if you haven't got it. The part number is ARA 1501L. The sender unit comes in two different versions, petrol and diesel. The diesel part No is PRC 3268 and the petrol is PRC 4972, which one have you got??

There should be a hole, circular in shape in the top of the fuel tank for the spill return elbow held in place by 5 screws, however it doesn't look like you have this on your tank. Also the tank itself sits in a cradle that is molded to fit the underside of the tank. You will need this as the metal lip going round the circumference of the tank with the securing bolt holes in each end is pretty thin and bends easily and wont support the weight of a full tank. I haven't got the part number for this item, but if you call Land Rover and quote the tank part number, ask for the belly plate that the tank sits on.

If you look at the main picture you can see the big fill pipe, and two tiny little pipes. The one above the main fill pipe connects to a rubber hose that goes to the top of the filler neck to let the air escape when the tank is full. The other one by the corner can either be used as a fuel return or blanked off. If you want to blank it off then you will need the following parts; Nut - NRC 9770, Olive - NRC 9771 and Plug - NTC 1612. If you want to use it as a fuel return then you can buy the rubber elbow and two jubilee clips to get the correct size, these are Elbow - ETC 5340 and clips CN100708L.

I haven't got a picture of the gauge, but it's a round separate unit that slots into the dash. Just have a look into any Defender that's a pre 2007 internal facelift model as they are the same. The part number for the gauge is PRC 3107.

Some of these numbers might have been superseded, but that doesn't matter as the system automatically goes to the new number. The parts will be the same.

I hope this helps. If you need any more info just let me know mate.

Cheers

Andy

Comment

Thanks very much Andy, that is one of the best and most helpfull replys i ever had, if only they were all like that, i'll print that for future referance, i think he mentioned the sealing ring, and as i now have some info i can ask some questions when i go to pick it up, he seems a nice/helpfull guy, it occured to me about the fixing points or what looked like fixing points, i thought they looked a little flimsey and thought of fitting straps under to help support it, capacity is not bad at 80lt too, glad to hear the gauge is a seperate round one as opposed to it being in a cluster, that way i can mount it seperatly, i'm assumeing it was a diesiel tank but will check with him,
      going to have to cut a 5" hole in the top to get my hot water coil in, and fit a bolted/screwed cover over it,
      Thanks again mate, if i think of anything else i'll give you a shout,

Comment

Thanks very much Andy, that is one of the best and most helpfull replys i ever had, if only they were all like that, i'll print that for future referance, i think he mentioned the sealing ring, and as i now have some info i can ask some questions when i go to pick it up, he seems a nice/helpfull guy, it occured to me about the fixing points or what looked like fixing points, i thought they looked a little flimsey and thought of fitting straps under to help support it, capacity is not bad at 80lt too, glad to hear the gauge is a seperate round one as opposed to it being in a cluster, that way i can mount it seperatly, i'm assumeing it was a diesiel tank but will check with him,
        going to have to cut a 5" hole in the top to get my hot water coil in, and fit a bolted/screwed cover over it,
        Thanks again mate, if i think of anything else i'll give you a shout,

No worries Ian. Sorry I haven't got the part number for the belly plate, but you WILL need this to support the weight of the tank. Not sure why it's not listed in the Defender parts catalogue, but I'm sure your local main dealer can help you out. When you fit this plate, cover the side the tank rests on with a bitumen based silicone sealant to seal the whole lot together. This will also stop water getting in between. If you need the part numbers for the correct bolts and spacers then let me know and I will post them for you.

Cheers mate.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
          No worries Ian. Sorry I haven't got the part number for the belly plate, but you WILL need this to support the weight of the tank. Not sure why it's not listed in the Defender parts catalogue, but I'm sure your local main dealer can help you out. When you fit this plate, cover the side the tank rests on with a bitumen based silicone sealant to seal the whole lot together. This will also stop water getting in between. If you need the part numbers for the correct bolts and spacers then let me know and I will post them for you.

Cheers mate.

Andy
          Cheer's Andy expect i'll be painting the whole thing, why break the habit of a lifetime, i have just the sealant for that, i will prob have to make the straps as wont know how it'll sit untill i offer it up, but i will make sure it's well supported, and protected by a bash plate of some sort, i'll post some pics when i get it fitted in place, i was surprised no one bothered to post pics of their twin tank set ups, i know a few have em, could'nt be arsed i guess, thanks again

Comment

Cheer's Andy expect i'll be painting the whole thing, why break the habit of a lifetime, i have just the sealant for that, i will prob have to make the straps as wont know how it'll sit untill i offer it up, but i will make sure it's well supported, and protected by a bash plate of some sort, i'll post some pics when i get it fitted in place, i was surprised no one bothered to post pics of their twin tank set ups, i know a few have em, could'nt be arsed i guess, thanks again
            i would prefer to have one underneath the same as your doing Ian so its not taking up room inside the luggage area.I was also trying to think up a way of heating the tank before starting the engine with something like an immersion tank element and thermostat running off of a battery first thing in the morning and have it charging up as the truck is running
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
              i would prefer to have one underneath the same as your doing Ian so its not taking up room inside the luggage area.I was also trying to think up a way of heating the tank before starting the engine with something like an immersion tank element and thermostat running off of a battery first thing in the morning and have it charging up as the truck is running
              There was something like an emersion heater element on that link Dust posted
              Richard, also some electricly heated tape that you wind round the fuel delivery lines to the injectors, keeps the whole fuel line warm, of course it was all made in america, which is why i asked for pics/set ups of what guys here have done, you know more ideas the better, no takers tho

Comment

Hi Andy, i'm watching these, are any of em "unsuitable" i'm thinking the first three are ok but have a doubt about the fourth,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=017
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=002
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=003
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=004

Comment

Right got the tank, could'nt speak to the guy as he was still in hospital when i got there so had to deal with his missis, (had to show her what the tank looked like, and fish it out of his garage) looks pretty new and although she knew next to bugga all about it she said he's only had diesil and it had diesil on it (residue) so safe to assume the sender unit is for a diesil and not petrol,
                  added some better pics of it than the ebay one so you can see the verious tubes etc, it does have the sealing rubber and locking ring, the bit of harness was cable tied ot it, but i'll have to rewire it outside the surf's loom (with help, i hope) filler neck i know and assume one of the other tubes (marked) are return and breather (not sure which is which tho) thinking of cutting a 5" hole in the top depression (also marked) so i can get my coil (and hand ) in there, makeing good with a screwed cover and gasket, i'm assumeing this sender and gauge will work ok with veg oil? cheers andy
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello mate.

Sorry I haven't replied, I haven't been on the forum for a week or so.

The big pipe next to the filler hole is the breather that goes to the top of the filler neck. The small pipe is the fuel return.

The gauges 2 and 3 that you mentioned are original Defender types, so will be fine.

Hope this helps so long after you asked me.

Cheers dude.

Comment

Thanks Andy, i since bought the first gauge listed as 90/110 v8, hope this one will be ok, i thought it would just mean the fuel tank is bigger but the sender and gauge would be the same, have i made a ricket? please tell me i aint tossed another 15 quid down the lavvie
                      the tanks all cleaned and "holesaw'd" ready for the coil and blanking plate, was thinking of drilling a hole for a temp gauge so i can monitor the veg oil temp, cheers

ian

Comment

Working...
                      X