Failed MOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed MOT

Took the Surf for an MOT today, and it failed because of the LC springs. The problem is that they're too big for the upper rubber cups, so they're not located properly. So, what to do? Where can I get bigger cups? Or how can I stretch the standard ones to fit correctly?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Hi Paul,
    Take it to another MOT place and hope they wont notice!
    Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinflight
      Hi Paul,
      Take it to another MOT place and hope they wont notice!
      The tester did mention that as an option, but it's a risk really as they might also spot it and then I'm out a second test fee.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Well, I spent an hour or so adjusting and re-aligning the springs so they sit centrally on the bushes. Took it back down to the garage where the tester hummed and harred for a bit, asked me if I had any intention of selling (not on your nelly!) and he downgraded the springs to an advisory (also an advisory about the O/S front bearing having a bit of play, easy to sort out).

So, very happy, yet another year where getting my Surf through its MOT has cost me nothing!

Gonna have to have a look round for the rubber bushes off a LC though so they fit better.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Glad it`s sorted now Paul,
          Powered by Toyota!

Comment

im in the process of fabbing up some ally cups that fit over the original spring seats.for this exact problem.i noticed mine had moved also.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
              im in the process of fabbing up some ally cups that fit over the original spring seats.for this exact problem.i noticed mine had moved also.
              mine have also but when i had the mot done he was surprised that the L/C springs were on it and never said anything else,not even a comment about the rubber cup on the chasis as it had twisted into the spring a bit
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
                mine have also but when i had the mot done he was surprised that the L/C springs were on it and never said anything else,not even a comment about the rubber cup on the chasis as it had twisted into the spring a bit
                Why not mod the coil spacers to accomodate the size
                http://forums.bauchan.org/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=3
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                  Why not mod the coil spacers to accomodate the size
                  http://forums.bauchan.org/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=3
                  now now Ian you never read steins reply did you,have you had a hard day and can't concetrate now....

Comment

now now Ian you never read steins reply did you,have you had a hard day and can't concetrate now....
                    Yes but is he just making cups OR spacers .........More rear lift
                    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                      Yes but is he just making cups OR spacers .........More rear lift
                      some spring cups to stop the spring from sliding onto the chasis as they seem to do

Comment

some spring cups to stop the spring from sliding onto the chasis as they seem to do

Mine are OK after two years, must be 'cos you've all removed your ARBs.

Comment

The problem with mine came down to the fact that the springs had completely slipped off the rubbers on one edge, and this caused the spring to 'bow' out a bit, and it was slightly rubbing against the shocks. If it hadn't been for that (the rubbing) the tester said he would probably have never noticed it.
                          Paul </Slugsie>
                          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
                            Hmm, I might be interested in something like this. Let me know if you get them into production.
                            Paul </Slugsie>
                            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                            X