wireless router guide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless router guide?

Hi ya folks - not surf related but here goes...
    I've finally got myself up to date and bought me a laptop - so i work whilst sitting in same room as wife (her idea!!!)
    the laptop is wireless enabled but now I need a wireless router thingy.
    Can anyone spare me a few minutes and explain this new concept to me in layman's terms? for example ..

1) how do i set this up to run with my existing desktop PC using the existing phone line broadband connection?
    2) why when searching can i pick up nearby routers but not use them?
    3) if I enter a wifi zone - do i get charged from my ISP - or how does my ISP know I'm using this facility
    4) is there a preferred router manufacturer

I'm not quite clued up on this technology yet but hope to be so shortly.
    many thanks in advance for to anybody who can spare me a few minutes to instill some info.
    TA
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Originally posted by jaky cakes
    I've finally got myself up to date and bought me a laptop - so i work whilst sitting in same room as wife (her idea!!!)
    Can anyone spare me a few minutes and explain this new concept to me in layman's terms? for example ..

1) how do i set this up to run with my existing desktop PC using the existing phone line broadband connection? -
    3) if I enter a wifi zone - do i get charged from my ISP - or how does my ISP know I'm using this facility

many thanks in advance for to anybody who can spare me a few minutes to instill some info.
    TA
    1) Buy a wireless broadband router, Netgear are easy to setup - plug ADSL line into router, plug PC into router, laptop will connect wirelessly
    2) You don't have access to other peoples routers????
    3) Unlikely - you'll be billed by whoever operates the service
    4) See 1 - Netgear are quite straitforward to setup, not too much money and reliable....
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I have had real relaibility issues with Netgear, the first one conked out just after the warranty period, the one I bought after was sent back three times, in teh end I gave up adn bought a Linsys, it set up immediately and has run without a glitch for months on end now.

This is the one I have been running.
      http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/118662

It has much better signal too then the Netgear "mimo rangemax" it replaced

Cheap too. I buy all my PC stuff from these guys.
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

best router by far Draytek

Not cheap, but $$$$$$ good
        There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

netgear

my netgear rangemax is brilliant . had a lynksys before nothing but trouble . and you get a free wireless usb adapter so you can have both your pc and laptop on the wireless connection . no wires to either pc . plug adsl line in the router plug adapter in the usb on your pc throw the cable away from the phone to pc and bobs ya uncle . no wires anywhere
          black n tan
          black n tan
          yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

1) how do i set this up to run with my existing desktop PC using the existing phone line broadband connection?
            After buying your wireless router, connect the supplied ADSL cable into the ADSL Microfilter (little box type device that separates the old analogue signal from digital signals so you can use your braodband and telephone connection together.). Then plug your ADSL Microfilter into the telephone socket.

There are now several options available:
            1. Purchase a router that also supports 4 dedicated ports where you are able to connect the PC into the ports with a Network cable (not wireless) and have your laptop wireless
            2.Look for a router that also supplies a USB style adapter that provides wireless connectivity to your PC and have the laptop wireless
            3. Purchase a USB style adaptor separately that offers wireless connectivity for your PC.

Each router is normally configured to be 'closed' via the use of a pre-shared key (password) and some form of encryption otherwise others will be acting as though they are on your private network and can gleam information from your PC/Router. A secure router is where you normally see a padlock and some words like security enabled WPA or WPA2 etc.

I believe these would have you supply your card details to purchase the time on-line or have a pre-arranged account. Not sure about these as not come across any myself as yet. Broadband access would not be direct through you ISP, but would sallow you to use your Internet client to connect to your ISPs Web-portal (ie Webrowser email etc)

Alot use Netgear, Linksys(Cisco) or DLink. I have had problems with both DLink and Linksys. A router I use at work is Zyxel, although can be a little finicky to setup if not in the know due to its capabilities.

TA
            Last edited by Gizmo; 31 August 2007, 21:57.
            Gaz

Comment

NO you will have to pay the people whise internet you are using eg in Starbucks T-Mobile
              There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Thank you Gizmo / chaps for your input. I have been doing a bit digging about on various websites and now the whole thing is becoming clearer - mudlike - but clearer.
                I've just sacked Tiscali after many years service - after changing to their 8mb package and getting roughly 500kbps speed - which their tech guy told me was my fault for using copper wired extension cables (utter paff)
                now signed up with Sky - sky+ tv / free landline calls anytime and 8mb speed broadband (realistically 5mb in my area) all for £31 pm. - compared to to £70ish I was paying before!!!
                The sky broadband comes with free sky badged netgear router.
                thanks again folks - I'd be lost without this site!!!!

Comment

Thank you Gizmo / chaps for your input. I have been doing a bit digging about on various websites and now the whole thing is becoming clearer - mudlike - but clearer.
                  I've just sacked Tiscali after many years service - after changing to their 8mb package and getting roughly 500kbps speed - which their tech guy told me was my fault for using copper wired extension cables (utter paff)
                  now signed up with Sky - sky+ tv / free landline calls anytime and 8mb speed broadband (realistically 5mb in my area) all for £31 pm. - compared to to £70ish I was paying before!!!
                  The sky broadband comes with free sky badged netgear router.
                  thanks again folks - I'd be lost without this site!!!!
                  im on the same package,so far no complaints at all
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                    im on the same package,so far no complaints at all

good to hear!! I only hope their customer care and tech center guys aren't as patronizingly condescending as Tisali's - big bag of w@nk!!

I was expecting a lot of hassel from them when requesting my migration code as I've had to changed my contract so many times in the past months - but after blasting their customers service supervisor for their poor "careless attiude" I think they were happy just to walk away from the whole situation and give me my code.

Before requesting the code i read through their terms and conditions - and they have you over a barrel if you decide to leave for whatever reason - and the best bit - one of their own clauses - "we (tiscali) will not be bound by our terms and conditions"
                    Good riddance.

RANT OVER!!

Comment

Router wise, depends what you want.

Dlink, I've always found to suffer random glitches for no reason requiring a hard reset to sort it.

Netgear, nice and reliable, but their firmware cripples the usually otherwise capable units if you wish to do anything outside the basic norm.

Linksys, usually reliable enough, and do also have O.S firmware for (most|all)? of their units if you're planning on getting fancy with the setup.

Comment

now I'm worried, I have a Belkin no problems yet (grabbing wood like crazy) and not one word about them, and I am on Tiscali too - no cable down here Oh Bugger, as I am not a great sports fan and we only have the basic 4 yes 4 tv channels on our local analogue transmiter....any sugestions????????
                        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                        Tony

Comment

Working...
                        X