Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello I'm New And Need Advice

Hello all.

My name is Chris and I'm from near Wolverhampton. I've been lurking around here for a while now, reading through the whole forum.

I'm not a Hilux owner however I've wanted one as long as I can remember. When I was younger I used to eagerly go through my copies of Offroad & 4x4 magazines dreaming of one day owning one.

I even went and got a loan to buy one about seven years ago and then realised I couldn't insure one. Since then I've been a regular car owner.

Anyway last summer I read a book which said you should save up and buy the things you've always wanted, and not get distracted by short term desires. Now I will put my cards on the table now and admit to a fleeting interest in the L200 Warrior, but having read through the forums I've been put off.

I'm now spending an unhealthy amount of time day dreaming about owning a Surf and have decided if my Astra passes it's MOT today I'm going to seriously consider selling my XR4i and saving up for one.

The thing is I do want to modify it and learn to off road safely, I also would like to join the local volunteers to help out with recovery during freak weather. So a capable truck and good skills will become a must. Now I'm technically competent around spanners and sockets and have done things like engine conversions in cars and such.

I wont beat about the bush though, I want a nice truck, not a beater, I understand that's almost a catch 22 if you want to use it but at I am a bit of a show off.

So anyway, crikey I'm rattling on, I'm after some advice because I feel the best advice comes from those with a bit of hindsight to offer.

At the moment I'm thinking/dreaming of a late Black Gen2 3.0 Auto (Diesel or Petrol) with a 2" body lift and a 3" suspension lift (springs and shocks). CB, winch, guards and bars, snorkle etc...

But really I'm interested in what people would do if they were in my position?

fullfill your dream mate ,go for it, it took a while for me to find a truck looked at loads of sh#t till i found the right one ,fitted most of the the things on your list just waiting for winch bumper
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

yep i agree go for it,a 3.0ltr diesel 2nd gen in the lovely black colour.buy a good standard truck then convert it yourself.it easy to do and doesnt cost the earth, there is a wealth of info and plenty of people in the know on here. oh and welcome to the surf emporium of pleasure.did i mention that black is the best colour.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
        did i mention that black is the best colour.
        Except when it's BLUE

3.0TD 2nd gen, 2" bodylift 3" sus lift, snorkel, CB etc etc. Your dream truck!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Cheers guys. So you would think it would be best to try and find a standard low miler that's been running the kids to school, rather than something already modified?

Comment

welcome dude,just make sure of what you want b4 you buy. iwas lucky,got mine for 750 quid but had been in a field for a while,had to have it in its burgundy, but yes a black 3.0 litre 2nd gen mmmmmmmmmm
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by MWF
              Cheers guys. So you would think it would be best to try and find a standard low miler that's been running the kids to school, rather than something already modified?
              Yeah, thats probably best. Mine was standard apart from bling alloys when I got it. Dunno how the mods happened... they just kind of creep up on you... then one day you go outside and 'hellb@stardbeast' is sitting there.

Comment

yes BLACK is best and I would probably agree Diesel is better only because the price of fuel is a bit crazy and converting petrol to lpg is expensive.
                And chip fat is free

And as per everyone else buy a standard one and modify it your self, then its your truck and you will know it in and out, instead of finding loads of mistakes and faults if you buy one which has already been done.

Oh and try to find one with all the standard bits you could ever want on it at the start, i.e. spoiler, rear wheel carrier aftermarket arb bumber etc as getting hold of these at a later date is not easy.

Comment

if your handy with the spanners you could have yourself one hell of a beast of a truck.it wont take long before the modding bug gets you and thats it your hooked.plenty of bit and pieces on the market or if like me and many others on here make it yourself and save a packet.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

if like me and many others on here make it yourself and save a packet.
                    What he means is 'if welding doesn't always result in fire, and using a spanner doesn't always result in having to drill headless bolts out, then yes, make it yourself'

Mark, Vicki would have been a lot happier offroading if she could have got in and out of the truck easier! Where are my sliders (with removable step) on your list?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      What he means is 'if welding doesn't always result in fire, and using a spanner doesn't always result in having to drill headless bolts out, then yes, make it yourself'

Mark, Vicki would have been a lot happier offroading if she could have got in and out of the truck easier! Where are my sliders (with removable step) on your list?
                      what you mean the plastic beer crate with a polished chrome top.that ive been working on.the sliders arnt a problem mate it the step thingy that is.im about halfway through the list and your somewhere near the halfway mark.does that help.hehehehehe
                      Last edited by surfenstein; 29 August 2007, 11:21.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Hi welcome i`m not to far from you i`m in Sutton coldfield. so keep an eye out for me!! i'm not to handy with the spanners but i`m learning and having fun with it!! and there is always plenty of advice and info on here if you get stuck!! and go for black by far the best colour!! Once you have had black you never go back!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

if your handy with the spanners you could have yourself one hell of a beast of a truck.it wont take long before the modding bug gets you and thats it your hooked.plenty of bit and pieces on the market or if like me and many others on here make it yourself and save a packet.
                          or if you are sh#t like me with spanners @ welders pay someone a couple of beer tokens and they will make you some lovely parts
                          theres allways someone willling to help or advise on this site
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I draw the line at welding but most stuff I'm OK with. I've seen there's some really good resources on here for lift kits, bumpers, sliders etc...

Am I supposed to understand the spec break downs, i,e SSR-X SSR-G etc or is the spec usually pretty random?

Comment

Originally posted by MWF
                              I draw the line at welding but most stuff I'm OK with. I've seen there's some really good resources on here for lift kits, bumpers, sliders etc...

Am I supposed to understand the spec break downs, i,e SSR-X SSR-G etc or is the spec usually pretty random?
                              i think im right in saying that the spec is pretty random.you will find that most top spec trucks have a good few differences,this is due to an huge options list from new.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X