Windows Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista

If you are thinking of Using it Ensure you have at least 1 gb of Memory as it is very Resource Hungry. All the calls i am seeing at the moment are O/S Reloads which is a pointless task as there is Insufficient Memory to run it.
    There are also Hardware issues as some Hardware is not Supported forcing us to buy new Parts. E.G Video cards, Sound cards & Printers.
    So my ADVICE is dont do it.
    If you are buying a new PC ensure its got at least 1gig of ram Preferably 2 gig
    if running VISTA
    Last edited by marky; 21 August 2007, 13:10.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Most new PCs are Vista ready now.. I beta tested Vista last year and all I can say is........

Its CR@P !!
    -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

I should be buying a new laptop soon…. planning on using Linex with ubuntu beryl

Here is an interesting link showing the speed of MS verses Linux:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ
      Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
        Most new PCs are Vista ready now.. I beta tested Vista last year and all I can say is........

Its CR@P !!
        Most but not all, Some are sold with only 512Mb Memory.
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Most but not all, Some are sold with only 512Mb Memory.

Home basic will run on 512Mb and thats whats shipped with most new PCs now anyway as its che ceapest.... Microsoft Vista Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate all need 1Gb.

They should ban Vista for sure

Comment

They should ban Vista for sure

Not that I'm one to harp on..........................

http://badvista.fsf.org/

Comment

what i have found is vista will tick over with no programs running at 70% of 1gb ram being used. soon as you open word, photoshop or some other program it will write whats not needed to disk and free up ram dynamically for you.
              you can test this by leaving it ticking over, note the amount of ram being used eg 70%, then open word and see how you are only using 60% of ram.

i love vista., its 10 times easier to use than xp once you get used to it. as with everything no one likes change.
              im quite sad as i was using vista until i got my new motherboard. then i had to do a re-install and since i want to tweak my overclock i have to use xp. so im using xp 2005 MC. ill be on server 2003 in a few weeks anyway.

if anyone wants vista i highly advise to it. but i would note what graphics card you havem motherboard, network, sound, and thats about it but find out if there are drivers for that for vista.
              half the time windows have made their own drivers for the hardware as manufacturers havnt yet so its not that bad. when i installed the only prob i had was my network card. my gforce graphics card, sound, chipset and everything else was ready to go. it even takes less time than xp to install.

slate me if you wish but at the end of the day microsoft has improved their software.
              the only thing i dont like about them is that if you have a running problem with your pc being software related they microsoft should support you. thing is they dont, and if you want them to then they charge.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                ill be on server 2003 in a few weeks anyway.

You get worse mate

Bring back the old NT days.. ha ha

No saying that I used to work a lot on 2k3 boxes and if they are done right they work well.. its all down to what you want to use the box for.. If your using it for a "home pc" then just remember the boot up times are cr@p, depending on what the box is doing it can take up to 10 mins (well I did have MS Exchange and a BlackBerry server running on mine and it was also running as a PDC as I only had the one spare box to play with).

For the XP experience I also had a copy of Virtual PC on the server with XP running on it.. its a long story and I wont bore you all anymore... zzzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                  slate me if you wish but at the end of the day microsoft has improved their software. the only thing i dont like about them is that if you have a running problem with your pc being software related they microsoft should support you. thing is they dont, and if you want them to then they charge.
                  I was trying to resist replying. Honestly. But.....................

They could hardly make it any damned worse, although they do manage to do so in multiple areas. Windoze will never be stable, never use resources well, and should never, and I do mean never, be allowed in a server environment. How they have the cheek to call any of that $hite they sell server based is beyond me. Single user systems, that require horrendous amounts of resources and extra software to become true multi-user systems. They take the p1ss.

Windoze is good for one thing and one thing only. Numpty simplicity. It's the easiest OS to get up and running with all drivers and hardware, (when there are drivers available), installed. By virtue of that fact, it has more user friendly software for it available than any other OS.

Network wise, however, I'd bomb the f'ing thing before touch it with someone else's bargepole, ne'er mind my own. It's insecure, resource hungry, bloated, incompetent, proprietary and just downright dangerous. Why people still have this blinding passion for all things M$ really is beyond me. I run it on one machine, (and one machine only), and that is merely due to the fact that there are some pieces of software I need to use which are only available for Windoze. Even then, I use 2000, as it's the last M$ OS I would even partially trust. Anything later than that should be banned from ever seeing the light of day, in my book.

Comment

Ive also heard you need a Special VISTA USB memory stick as it wont recognise any of the older ones. BUGGA!
                    i'M GOING BACK TO 3.11 WINDOWS FOR WORKGROUPS
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

All verisons of Windows are still in beta.. the end users are the ones who are testing this for MS hence why there are soooo many updates.

Comment

Saying that Matt.. when I was at O2 everything that needed to be on secure platform or even a stable one was either on Unix or Sun. Only the end user side (desktops and mail/file servers) where on Windows due to so many people being able to use it etc with them having home PC's.

I was at a stone show the other year and this £250k CNC machine was Windows based, the guys demo'ing it didnt take it too kindly when I asked them what would happen to the worktop which was being processed when Windows had a hissy fit and spat its dummy out... Shall I throw my MCSE card in the bin then ha ha

Comment

Saying that Matt.. when I was at O2 everything that needed to be on secure platform or even a stable one was either on Unix or Sun. Only the end user side (desktops and mail/file servers) where on Windows due to so many people being able to use it etc with them having home PC's.
                          Which is more the way it should be. Sun/Unix are very robust systems, as are BSD *nix systems. Linux is far better than M$, but does tend to suffer its own set of problems. Even then though, Linux would still be a far better alternative than M$. All servers and their associated functions should be running on some form of *nix if reliability is required. As you say though, M$ does make do for desktops as it's the system most people know offhand.

I was at a stone show the other year and this £250k CNC machine was Windows based, the guys demo'ing it didnt take it too kindly when I asked them what would happen to the worktop which was being processed when Windows had a hissy fit and spat its dummy out... Shall I throw my MCSE card in the bin then ha ha
                          I'd top myself if I had to admit to having a MCE/MCSE, ne'er mind bin it. Oh, the shame........ I just have that smug bugger look these days with companies that run Windoze for important functions. The amount of times I've warned customers not to upgrade to the latest version, or install some ancillary M$ software, you would not believe. Nowadays however, they don't tell me when it goes tits up as I said it would. They know they'd have to suffer the smug b@stard look that I'd be wearing all day as I kept telling them, 'Told you so'. They just nonchalantly mention that they've decided to go with my method when it goes tits up, without mentioning why.

Comment

[blue touch paper mode]I'd consider switching to a far more reliable gui if I get get a copy - anyone got a spare copy of Gem ?[/blue touch paper mode]
                            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                              [blue touch paper mode]I'd consider switching to a far more reliable gui if I get get a copy - anyone got a spare copy of Gem ?[/blue touch paper mode]

http://www.deltasoft.com/downloads.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X