Veg Oil Heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veg Oil Heaters

I'm currently running about 70-80% veg oil with no problems as yet, touch wood, done about 3000 miles so far, no signs of drips from fuel pump etc. but am concerned about putting strain on the fuel pump and possible 'gelling' of the SVO during the winter.
    General consensus seems to be some form of heater to reduce the viscosity of the oil. I have bought a heat exchanger which runs off the cooling system and will hopefully be fitting this week however this will only work when the engine is up to temp. I have been looking at lots of different alternatives to heat the fuel before the engine gets to temp, things like the VOW2 heater and the German one that Captain Chaos fitted. The problem with these that i can see is that they still leave unheated oil in the injectors and the pipes between the heater and injectors. Is this actually likely to be a problem?

Heating the fuel filter itself seems like a good idea and i have read that some members with the 'winter pack' have a heated fuel filter, does anyone know if this is a replacement part available from Toyota? Does anyone know a part no.? Price?

Has anyone any experience of this
    http://www.dieselveg.com/bio-band_band_heater.htm

Seems like a good alternative

Also seen this
    http://www.dieselveg.com/injection_pipe_heating.htm

They have this fitted to a surf and seems like the ideal solution as it heats the injectors themselves.

Any of you more technically/mechanically minded types got any thoughts, comments of opinions?
    Lifes a beach, so lets surf!

Unless you are doing a fully heated fuel system and pipes, from the injectors back to the tank, then you will always have cold VO somewhere. To make a truly heated fuel system would be a major undertaking. Best to have a twin tank setup in all honesty. Diesel for startup and initial running, with switchover to VO once upto temp, then switch back to diesel for the final few minutes of running before the vehicle will be stopping and standing overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      Unless you are doing a fully heated fuel system and pipes, from the injectors back to the tank, then you will always have cold VO somewhere. To make a truly heated fuel system would be a major undertaking. Best to have a twin tank setup in all honesty. Diesel for startup and initial running, with switchover to VO once upto temp, then switch back to diesel for the final few minutes of running before the vehicle will be stopping and standing overnight.

This is how I do mine and it works for me as my heater is also off the cooling system.
      -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Twin tank is the solution mate, but a leaky pump may still happen as it slowly degrades the rubber seals. I replaced my top seals but still occasionally leaks from distributor end, not enough to worry me though.

Dieselveg.com do a good quick purging basic kit that i use and its graet, 2 minutes to have neat diesel in your pump at night.
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Nice one thanks guys

I was really trying to avoid going down the dual tank route. Only reason is to maintain loadspace in the rear as i'm often carrying a lot of tools and stuff and didn't want take up space with the secondary tank, a small issue i know especially if it avoids knackering my engine

Thought that the injection heating system looked like a good idea. Seemed to tackle what i thought was the primary problem; gelling of the oil in the injectors in cold weather. In conjunction with a heated fuel filter seemed like a good solution..

As another thought do you guys running dual tank systems have a heater in your main fuel tank/ fuel lines? Do you have any problems with the neat SVO gelling in the tank and/or lines in cold weather? or is a heat exchanger enough to take care of this?

Many questions i know just really enjoy all of the benefits of driving a surf and running on veggie oil, don't wanna muck up either one
          Lifes a beach, so lets surf!

Comment

I dont have a heater in my second tank but last winter I was putting a little diesel in with the SVO just to make sure it didnt gel in the lines.

I am toying with the idea of re-running the SVO line down the prop tunnel under the carpet so that its not outside in the cold and hopefully this should stop the need for me adding diesel to the SVO.
            -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

I am not very knowledgeable on the Surf injection system after the IP, but if you have a rail or hardlines to the injectors, you could run injector heaters. I would keep some heat out of the IP, and still get it into the engine. It would be a last chance to get the heat up, and would heat everything that is in the system. I don't know if I can post links here, but there are several different makers, and I can point you to info if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Dust
                I am not very knowledgeable on the Surf injection system after the IP, but if you have a rail or hardlines to the injectors, you could run injector heaters. I would keep some heat out of the IP, and still get it into the engine. It would be a last chance to get the heat up, and would heat everything that is in the system. I don't know if I can post links here, but there are several different makers, and I can point you to info if you are interested.
                Can't see why you shouldn't post links. It's only the spammers who get penalised for that. Any legitimate links to info or equipment/suppliers are fine.

Comment

As a newbie it's better to be safe than sorry.

http://www.fattywagons.com/fwproducts.htm

They make(made?) injection line heaters

Here is some info on the heaters

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...8841058801/p/1

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...6101349/inc/-1

Take a look around that site for other heating ideas too.
                  Last edited by Dust; 24 August 2007, 15:48.

Comment

Some good info there me old china! cheers
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                      Some good info there me old china! cheers
                      I've done alot of reading on the subject, one of the reasons I am looking into buying my friend's surf, or another Diesel vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                      X