front brakes????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front brakes????

Help, been one of those days! hubby went out to change grease nipples on surf, checked the brake pads, were down so changed them. no problem, untill we tried to test them! when pressing the brake pedal down the light came on, fluid level is fine, have bled it, we hope, so no more ideas! light is now off, have we cured it, seems fine, any help gratefully received (cos he was supposed to be working on my car today!)

I'd check that they are working by jacking the front up and then getting someone to press the pedal to ensure that they lock on and release properly. If they do and the pedal has good firm pressure with no creep they should be fine take it for a gradual test drive and apply brakes gently increasing until you as satisfied they pull you up nice and square.

making sure theres no one coming up behind you of course
    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

dont expect them to be good till its done a at lest 100 miles, got to bed in

ya didnt grease the discs !!!!!!!!!!!
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

not right?!

just took the surf for a (gentle!) spin, not completely happy with it, the brake pedal seems to go too far down to the floor. definately got brakes, does it need to be bled again?

Comment

Originally posted by alisonb
          just took the surf for a (gentle!) spin, not completely happy with it, the brake pedal seems to go too far down to the floor. definately got brakes, does it need to be bled again?
          Ideas either
          needs bleading again (hope you put in new fluid )
          calipers jammed
          or master cllinder
          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Might be worth checking around the calipers to make sure there is no fuel leaking around the seals. Also, did hubby bleed all the brakes, including the LSPV above the rear axle or just the fronts. Could still be air somewhere in the system so a rebleed and possibly complete renewal of the brake fluid might be adviseable.
            Mike G

Comment

its possible you may of just disturbed the level switch in the reservoir.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

if they harden when you press the pedal twice while driving, its air in the lines
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                  Might be worth checking around the calipers to make sure there is no fuel leaking around the seals. Also, did hubby bleed all the brakes, including the LSPV above the rear axle or just the fronts. Could still be air somewhere in the system so a rebleed and possibly complete renewal of the brake fluid might be adviseable.
                  Yeah, he checked them all, so it looks like a rebleed. no leaks anywhere. would adjusting the handbrake make a difference?, i believe that has something to do with the back brakes,not sure, i just press the foot brake when told!!

Comment

Originally posted by alisonb
                    Yeah, he checked them all, so it looks like a rebleed. no leaks anywhere. would adjusting the handbrake make a difference?, i believe that has something to do with the back brakes,not sure, i just press the foot brake when told!!
                    when bleeding the brakes always start in the opposite corner at the rear from where the resevoir is situated so start on the nsr,then osr then nsf then osf.this way you dont introduce more air into the system.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

You did "pump" the pedal a few times first I take it? Whenever I've had mine changed I always give it 6-10 good hard stamps on the pedal before I do anything.
                      Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Working...
                      X