Diy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache
    Well, I'm off to Worcester for floor tiles..

Woooooh - flippin - hoooh!
    Tiles on a wooden floor require special Cement that is FLEXIBLE due to movement. VERY EXPENSIVE
    HANDY HINTS PAGE http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Andy,

I do hope you have the necessary bit of paper that allows you to touch any wiring in the house. You do know it's now illegal for anyone but a fully qualified and certificated sparks to touch household wiring don't you?

Or are you like me and will have done ANY electrical work well before 1 January 2005 when the new regs came into force (no Mr Building Inspector, all that 2.5T&E was installed years ago...).
      Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        Tiles on a wooden floor require special Cement that is FLEXIBLE due to movement. VERY EXPENSIVE

Ahh its not that expensive!! £10 for a 8m2 tub i think...

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Latexplus 6kg liquid - £19.74 - its on a fresh 1" thick marine ply floor. Took the old (120 year old!) floorboards out as they were a bit, ermmm, flexible!

Got a nice charcoal grey slate. Got a load of LTP ironwax left over from doing the indian slate kitchen floor so didn't need more sealant.

Think I deserve a bacon butty after all that shopping!
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
            Latexplus 6kg liquid - £19.74 - its on a fresh 1" thick marine ply floor. Took the old (120 year old!) floorboards out as they were a bit, ermmm, flexible!

Got a nice charcoal grey slate. Got a load of LTP ironwax left over from doing the indian slate kitchen floor so didn't need more sealant.

Think I deserve a bacon butty after all that shopping!
            and possibly a nice cup of tea (two sugars please if your making one)
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
              Andy,

I do hope you have the necessary bit of paper that allows you to touch any wiring in the house. You do know it's now illegal for anyone but a fully qualified and certificated sparks to touch household wiring don't you?

Or are you like me and will have done ANY electrical work well before 1 January 2005 when the new regs came into force (no Mr Building Inspector, all that 2.5T&E was installed years ago...).
              Im not sure thats strictly correct. I beleive you can DIY as long as its inspected and approved by a card carrying sparky. I bet it will all come into these HIP things someday if not already. Lets face it unless you have drawings showing all wiring and fittings, who would ever know whats been changed / added/subtracted ? I mean how is anyone going to know that all the 13amp socket outlets in the bathroom havent always been there

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                Im not sure thats strictly correct. I beleive you can DIY as long as its inspected and approved by a card carrying sparky. I bet it will all come into these HIP things someday if not already. Lets face it unless you have drawings showing all wiring and fittings, who would ever know whats been changed / added/subtracted ? I mean how is anyone going to know that all the 13amp socket outlets in the bathroom havent always been there

Bogus
                It's not entirely true. Bathrooms and kitchens are covered by Part P. You can still work on other parts. However, it's protectionism, plain and simple. The amount of people hurt by DIY wiring is actually lower than people killed by lightning!

It's all about control and money - as usual! During modernising this house, I've found some awful wiring (what I'd class as dangerous) done by so called professionals! I've pretty much re-done the downstairs ring (as it was radial before, and a real mess), and separated the kitchen ring to have it's own breaker. Upstairs, christ knows whats gone on up there, but I cant find anything risky so I'm leaving it as is.

Anyway, anyone comes here whining about part P, I'll be shoving their regs up their fresh little graduate council worker ar$e! I've forgotten more than those little council inspector w*nkers ever learned!

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                  Andy,

Andy make sure it's switched off before you touch it. Look what happened to me

www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
                    Andy make sure it's switched off before you touch it. Look what happened to me

I hope they dont let you near power tools, and welders and things... Oh yeah...

Scotlands answer to David Dickinson

Comment

www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

So next time we come and visit then andy, all the diy will be finished I bet vicki's pleased

Comment

Originally posted by shirlster
                          So next time we come and visit then andy, all the diy will be finished I bet vicki's pleased
                          Well you might be able to go int he bathro m withoiut spinters

Comment

Working...
                          X