big tyres, bad brakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big tyres, bad brakes.

Hi guy’s has any one else got this problem, since I fitted 32x11.50x15 inch mud
    Tyres to my surf, the braking seems poor. I can’t lock the wheels up under
    Braking any more, I suppose that’s due to bigger diameter tyres
    Any thoughts on improving the braking efficiency .

Originally posted by tonyaj
    Hi guy’s has any one else got this problem, since I fitted 32x11.50x15 inch mud
    Tyres to my surf, the braking seems poor. I can’t lock the wheels up under
    Braking any more, I suppose that’s due to bigger diameter tyres
    Any thoughts on improving the braking efficiency .
    Re-new the brake fluid.
    Fit braided brake hoses.
    Drill and groove the discs.
    Overhaul the calipers.

Comment

check tyre pressures.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

give them to me
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

tyre pressures are at 30 psi. i was thinking about fitting new discs, how do i drill
          and groove them. is it a D.I.Y or do i need a pro.

Comment

tyre pressures are at 30 psi. i was thinking about fitting new discs, how do i drill
            and groove them. is it a D.I.Y or do i need a pro.
            No it's not DIY unless you are VERY confident you are drilling in the right places.

Dont bother anyway, it wont increase the friction coefficient, it just helps the disk cool and delays fade.

Why do you want to be able to lock up your wheels? If the truck stops OK, it could just be your old tyres were shot.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Glad you said that - I'm no genius but I thought locking up meant your brakes were out performing your tyres i.e. the brakes work fine but the tyres were slipping on the road surface

Must admit that I'd be happy to have better brakes though !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

Glad you said that - I'm no genius but I thought locking up meant your brakes were out performing your tyres i.e. the brakes work fine but the tyres were slipping on the road surface

Must admit that I'd be happy to have better brakes though !

It's a heavy old beast with 15ish year old brake system. Drive accordingly.

Comment

the old tyers were ok, just a Smaller size and not muds, i just feel that the
                  Braking seems poor. for a vehicle of this size.

Comment

the old tyers were ok, just a Smaller size and not muds, i just feel that the
                    Braking seems poor. for a vehicle of this size.
                    It's not brilliant compared to modern cars. Whenever I get into a hire car (or Vickis Polo) I spend the first few minutes catapulting myself at the windscreen.

The Surf needs a heavy foot if I need to stop quick - but I prefer that to modern overservoed cars, and I also note I dont lock up on muds. I did lock up once on BFG ATs when a muppet pulled out of a junction in front of me, but thats the only time.

Bigger diameter tyres, as you say, need greater braking force because the force moment arm is longer.

Comment

that's what i thought, o well i will have to drive more slowly, ill try fitting the braided brake hoses. and see what that's like. i need a new mod to do anyway.
                      keeps me out of the house.

Comment

that's what i thought, o well i will have to drive more slowly, ill try fitting the braided brake hoses. and see what that's like. i need a new mod to do anyway.
                        keeps me out of the house.
                        tony if you have got a lift and do off roading then it may pay to get the extended braided brake hoses from roughtrax.I have got the item no.somewhere if you need it as its not actually listed on the site

Comment

i was down that way a few weeks ago, and poped in to roughtrax and asked them about their braided brake hoses, and they said the hoses are all normal size and not extended ones. i am thinking about the ones LA supertrux sell.

Comment

i was down that way a few weeks ago, and poped in to roughtrax and asked them about their braided brake hoses, and they said the hoses are all normal size and not extended ones. i am thinking about the ones LA supertrux sell.
                            i got mine from there.here they are on the website.They only show up if you got the item number
                            http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=16&vid=180

Speak to Barry and he'll sort you out with what you need.Clayton also got his from them a couple of weeks ago and i think Stein got them also

Comment

thanks i'm back down that way next week i will pop in and get some.

Comment

Working...
                              X