Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wot about side mounts ?
    Lot less hassle, no body lift etc.
    Thats if my (non surfer) opinion counts for sh1t !!!!
    Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

the plan later on for my truck is an intercooler, anything to squeeze an extra couple of horses out the 2.4 lol. Probably go for top mount, the scoop looks cool
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

you can mount from all angles and have a good time....unless your back's fooked, then your options are severely restricted.
        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

top....now which is the best (cheapest) to fit?

Comment

Originally posted by wasp132
            top....now which is the best (cheapest) to fit?
            Cheapest would be top mount - the pipe runs are much shorter. The silicone hose is expensive stuff - and the cheap stuff splits.

One of the aussie surfers used stainless and it looks great - DIY job but thats his trade!

Halfway down this thread for pic

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ainless#103173
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Inline

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
              Cheapest would be top mount - the pipe runs are much shorter. The silicone hose is expensive stuff - and the cheap stuff splits.

Not so much difference on a 3.0. Turbo's down the bottom left. What do you want the extra power for Wasp? Not being a smart-ass BTW, genuinely curious. I've got a 3.0 too and haven't found it lacking on or off road, and I'm starting to think that a cooler is just one more thing to go wrong when you're 20 miles from anywhere.

One of the aussie surfers used stainless and it looks great - DIY job but thats his trade!

Halfway down this thread for pic

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ainless#103173
              As Andy knows , I'd go for front mount too. Easy to fit now I've removed the front valance and added a Surfenstein (TM) bashplate Also, it's the best place for efficiency (sorry Andy, you aint gonna win on this point), particularly on the road in stop / start driving, and you dont need to start cutting holes in bodywork.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                Inline

As Andy knows , I'd go for front mount too. Easy to fit now I've removed the front valance and added a Surfenstein (TM) bashplate Also, it's the best place for efficiency (sorry Andy, you aint gonna win on this point), particularly on the road in stop / start driving, and you dont need to start cutting holes in bodywork.

If you're going mudplugging, a front mount won't be much use! (see Boyo's journey home thread)

How about one of those cooler rads that freezer lorries have on thier roofs?

Oh and as for water spray for the intercooler, just fit an extra windscreen washer jet to spray it with a seperate switch.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  If you're going mudplugging, a front mount won't be much use! (see Boyo's journey home thread)

How about one of those cooler rads that freezer lorries have on thier roofs?

Oh and as for water spray for the intercooler, just fit an extra windscreen washer jet to spray it with a seperate switch.
                  I'd agree there, but it has to be Salisbury mud. No problems elsewhere.

So people are happy to throw away about 25-50% efficiency just for that <1% of time they spend in deep mud? (0% for the majority I'm sure!) Hmmm, OK...

How about heavy duty window washers, a row of them, and a mud detection switch?

Comment

after seeing the boyo's intercooler yesterday, I was impressed. Where did you get it from?
                    Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
                      after seeing the boyo's intercooler yesterday, I was impressed. Where did you get it from?
                      Its off a Mitsubishi L200. Scoop is off a Trooper. Made the rest.

Comment

sorry Andy, you aint gonna win on this point LOL - I love this thread!

and you dont need to start cutting holes in bodywork
                        Cutting holes in the bodywork is half the fun!!!!!!

Comment

So people are happy to throw away about 25-50% efficiency just for that <1% of time they spend in deep mud? (0% for the majority I'm sure!) Hmmm, OK...
                          Please back up your percentage stats with some source data.

And why are no 4x4 intercoolers front mounted by any manufacturer that I am aware of?

Read this aussie experience (did have front, now changed to top)
                          http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...coolingtop.htm

And where are the pics of your engine so I can develop a front mount for you????? Eh????? Or shall we sort it on the weekend??

Comment

Hell yeah!

Comment

You've got me there!

Comment

<sigh> Inline

Please back up your percentage stats with some source data.

And why are no 4x4 intercoolers front mounted by any manufacturer that I am aware of?

Because it can be fitted as part of the engine on the engine assembly plant. Ease of manufacture therefore cheaper (ie built to price)

Read this aussie experience (did have front, now changed to top)
                                http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...coolingtop.htm

And where are the pics of your engine so I can develop a front mount for you????? Eh????? Or shall we sort it on the weekend??
                                I'm gonna do an oil change tomorrow so I'll be under the truck. Will take some pics. Wont development consist on buying a front mount cooler and some hose?

Doesn't look difficult, other than routing the pipe to the left end of the cooler as the steering is in the way, and I kinda need that bit

Comment

Working...
                                X