No announcement yet.

@koi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they the alphanumeric codes in weird writing that can only be read by a human and not by machine pattern recognition?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      Are they the alphanumeric codes in weird writing that can only be read by a human and not by machine pattern recognition?
      Those are captcha's. They don't necessarily have to be in weird writing. That is just a trait of some. Their effectiveness is the fact that they are randomly generated each time they are called. They don't necessarily even have to have alphanumeric content. It's the random generation which is the key point. Captcha's are, however, not completely foolproof. No method is.

The registration code is a different method completely. That relies upon a static image of an alphanumeric code, whereby a link is mentioned somewhere within the registration process which takes you to the page which contains the image. However, the parsers have an awkward time of that one due to the fact that the link only gives you a general link to the code. Hence, the human requirement to recognise it. Again, however, not completely foolproof.

Any method which gains widespread use eventually becomes targetted for cracking.

There are cartloads of different methods which can be employed, like random questions, random images/captcha's and other such measures. Even altering standard layouts slightly can bugger the parsers output. As to what can be done with proprietary systems, (like VB), I have no idea. As to whether the code is hackable with regards to modification, or whether it is reliant upon the company to release the mods, I've no idea. If it's all php scripts or the like, then it should be easy to modify the registration process. If it's something like a php frontend that communicates with a C++ backend, however, that would require source code for modifying, which by virtue wouldn't be available due to it not being O/S.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        Those are captcha's. They don't necessarily have to be in weird writing. That is just a trait of some. Their effectiveness is the fact that they are randomly generated each time they are called. They don't necessarily even have to have alphanumeric content. It's the random generation which is the key point. Captcha's are, however, not completely foolproof. No method is.

The registration code is a different method completely. That relies upon a static image of an alphanumeric code, whereby a link is mentioned somewhere within the registration process which takes you to the page which contains the image. However, the parsers have an awkward time of that one due to the fact that the link only gives you a general link to the code. Hence, the human requirement to recognise it. Again, however, not completely foolproof.

Any method which gains widespread use eventually becomes targetted for cracking.

There are cartloads of different methods which can be employed, like random questions, random images/captcha's and other such measures. Even altering standard layouts slightly can bugger the parsers output. As to what can be done with proprietary systems, (like VB), I have no idea. As to whether the code is hackable with regards to modification, or whether it is reliant upon the company to release the mods, I've no idea. If it's all php scripts or the like, then it should be easy to modify the registration process. If it's something like a php frontend that communicates with a C++ backend, however, that would require source code for modifying, which by virtue wouldn't be available due to it not being O/S.
        Dam right!!! just what i was going to say,
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
          Dam right!!! just what i was going to say,

Comment

an me!! wow!!

Comment

Working...
            X