@koi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @koi

just a suggestion, but why not allow a few more of the lads mod powers to get rid of the spammers that plague this site? sure they wouldn't mind too much.

ps i dont want the job, got more than enough on my plate with corc
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Originally posted by andrewlee31
    just a suggestion, but why not allow a few more of the lads mod powers to get rid of the spammers that plague this site? sure they wouldn't mind too much.

ps i dont want the job, got more than enough on my plate with corc

looking at different ways to combat this, am collecting everyones suggestions and will look closely at the more easier ones to implement.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

even if there is more mods or admins it could still be to late think the idea that all new members posts not put up till checked first n the undisired ones i/p checked n banned or the names banned then i/p address blocked just a idea im sure koi n mods or admins or even server can check i/p addresses?

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm
        even if there is more mods or admins it could still be to late think the idea that all new members posts not put up till checked first n the undisired ones i/p checked n banned or the names banned then i/p address blocked just a idea im sure koi n mods or admins or even server can check i/p addresses?
        Yes there is alot of work involved in that and then it may work ,BUT if you are like me, on aol, i leave lots of ghost ip addresses, that will be the problem .

It drives Matt up the wall on his site
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

with both of the forums we have just set up, its set so only admin can approve new members before they can access the site. we have enough people on the job so its not too bad. works well, keeps the spammers off.

they are aware of this however and put the dodgy links into their profiles, handy thing is, this is a dead giveaway of all the idiots.
          TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

I am also a member on a weather forum (metcheck). On their site when you join your first 100 posts have to go through your email so the spammers would have to post 100 times before they can do any wrong so don't bother. Will that not work here.
            Steve.
            monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

been on one that the first few posts have to be approved, but surely that makes more work...
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                been on one that the first few posts have to be approved, but surely that makes more work...
                There seems to be a pile of people stepping up to volenteer to help with that if it keeps the site up and running... Well I'm up for it any way..
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

The aus site is moderated by different people in each section and more than one for each section ..........Do they get the grief that we do?

I know that it means giving more people Limited 'power' but the problems that it causes all of us could be deminnished (where is Matt when i need to spell something hard).

I know matts , morrs and tonys sites exist but this is where the needed tech info is and can be a lifeline to some of us on occasions

Thanks Koi and lucky for all their hard work, for all of us Genunine members.
                  www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                    The aus site is moderated by different people in each section and more than one for each section ..........Do they get the grief that we do?
                    They have an extra mod for registration that prevents spambot registrations. There is a reg code that has to be entered to complete registration, so only human registration should, *theoretically*, be possible. Unlike captcha's, (which are under intense scrutiny for parsing opportunity by the spammers), external links or weird, non-standard questions make things a lot harder for bots.

Originally posted by Woodzie
                    I know that it means giving more people Limited 'power' but the problems that it causes all of us could be deminnished (where is Matt when i need to spell something hard).
                    Diminished.

Comment

Another idea that I've seen on a few forums is that new members have to post a thread in an 'introduce yourself' forum first. This means that spammers will be 'corralled' to a certain extent and easier to find. Combine that with maybe moderating the first 10 or so posts from a new member, and having some form of 'human only response' when joining should keep spammers down.

Oh, and one other possibility, anyone who joins with a location of USA should be immediately suspected. Not that I am suggesting any issue with our American brethren, but 99% of the spammers give that as their location, and this forum is aimed more towards us Brits so it tends to be a bit of a giveaway,
                      Paul </Slugsie>
                      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        They have an extra mod for registration that prevents spambot registrations. There is a reg code that has to be entered to complete registration, so only human registration should, *theoretically*, be possible. Unlike captcha's, (which are under intense scrutiny for parsing opportunity by the spammers), external links or weird, non-standard questions make things a lot harder for bots.

Diminished.
                        Pendantic sod
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                          Pendantic sod
                          Pedantic?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF

Diminished.

this is already in place
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                              this is already in place
                              Nice.

Make's life a bit harder for the sods, doesn't it.

Comment

Working...
                              X