Can you mix dot3 and dot4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you mix dot3 and dot4?

I need to top up my brake fluid as the light flashes on when cornering because the pads are wearing (but not enough to change yet). I dont know whats in there. Is it safe to mix specs?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache
    I need to top up my brake fluid as the light flashes on when cornering because the pads are wearing (but not enough to change yet). I dont know whats in there. Is it safe to mix specs?
    if i mixed my specs i wouldn't see where i'm going

sorry Andy i ain't got a clue
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

yes.
      But I would suggest a complete fluid flush asap . When did the fluid last get replaced ? If you dont know then change it . Brake fluid absorbs water from atmosphere which will lower the boiling point of fluid . Every 3 years you should flush out and replace the fluid.
      Last edited by Vagrant No2; 14 August 2007, 22:18.
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Yes, even DOT5.

Don't use silicone fluid (much higher boiling point) though, as it will just sit on top of the other fluid.

Comment

Well i've topped up my atf with dextron II instead of III so i'll let you know in about 1000k ish
          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Yes, even DOT5.

Don't use silicone fluid (much higher boiling point) though, as it will just sit on top of the other fluid.
            Hmm, DOT5 is the silicone stuff, that won't mix with DOT3, 4, or 5.1.
            5.1 will mix with DOT3 & 4 but not 5.

Just use DOT4, unless you can't find any, then DOT3 will be fine as well.

Comment

just don't try putting dot cotton in there. or your next question will be 'why's my surf smoking more all of a sudden?' hope this helps.
              i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Working...
              X