OT- Anyone a smallholder farmer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Anyone a smallholder farmer?

We're moving soon and the plan is to set up a smallholding. In our house the missus earns and I'm at home. Can't get a job around her on call hours so as the kids head to school the plan is to spend my time growing good food. I'm looking at a poly tunnel, veggies of course, bees, hens, pigs, sheep and a cow or two.

If anyone else is doing similar I'd be interested.

If all goes to plan I'll be hosting a camping and spit roasted pig weekend next summer to coincide with a forest drive 4x4 weekend!

Wish me luck,

Dave

good luck mate, sounds a good life
    Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
      good luck mate, sounds a good life

Sounds like The Good Life.

Good luck Dave, hope it all pans out the way you plan it. But I no experience with farms, or farmyard animals, those are just rumours.
      There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Good luck Dave. How much land you looking at. I have 6 acres. 3 stables a feed room hay store 50 odd chickens 6 sheep 2 geese a cat 2 dogs and 3 horses. I can tell you one thing you will never be bored. Land takes a lot of looking after there is allways something to be done.
        Been trying to get the hay cut now for the last 2 months. Don't think this weather is ever going to pick up.
        Steve.
        monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Dave

take a look at this guys blog:

http://stonehead.wordpress.com/

he's about 5miles from our place, and has interesting posts through the season
          and can be entertaining too!
          but gives you an idea how much work crofting can be
          although its mainly centred around his experiences day-to-day rather than general crofting info

wev'e just got 10 chickens and a polytunnel with veg's and an outside plot with veg,
          the polytunnel we put up this year, and have been astounded how much better things grow in it in our corner of NE scotland,
          we also eat any surplus cockerels from the chicks the hens hatch now and again
          Last edited by andycook; 13 August 2007, 20:16.
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

So I am not alone! Great info, like the blog.

We'll have 13 acres, 7.5 grazing, an acre garden and the rest woods.

Plan to keep musing and cogitating until next spring then put plans into action. Will plant orchard this winter.

What sheep do you have Phantom?

Dave

Comment

Not sure what breed they are we had them off the farmer down the road as cade lambs. I think they are just your regular farm sheep. A mate of mine has a few dartmoore grey face, but mine are just tasty breed hopefully.
              Steve.
              monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Working...
              X