grease nipples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grease nipples?

anyone know what thread size the wishbones take? i've unscrew'ed one of the top bolts and none of my little stash fit, gonna need angled ones, the lower ones look a sod to get at dont they, do halfords do em?
    Thank you in antisipation of your kind replys
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by ian619
    anyone know what thread size the wishbones take? i've unscrew'ed one of the top bolts and none of my little stash fit, gonna need angled ones, the lower ones look a sod to get at dont they, do halfords do em?
    Thank you in antisipation of your kind replys

Are you talking about the grease nipples that screw into the top and bottom ball joints?

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
      Are you talking about the grease nipples that screw into the top and bottom ball joints?
      Yes, sorry did i get it wrong,

Comment

Yes, sorry did i get it wrong,

I'm 95% sure they are the same size as the ones in your prop shafts.

I suppose you could take the one out of the slider, try it for size in the top ball joint, then head down to Halfrauds and see if they do those angled ones??

Having said that. My mate at Toyota parts said that Toyota do their own thread sizes for all their nuts and bolts, so an aftermarket grease nipple might not fit as that might have the Toyota thread as well? I'm only guessing tho!!
        Last edited by M35A2; 28 July 2007, 17:53.

Comment

Cheer's Andy, i'm going to halfords monday so i'll see what they do, i found the plug's the same size as some 10mm bolts i have so i'll take the nut from one of these bolts and try and get a matching nipple,

Comment

Theyre M6. I got 10 angled ones off ebay not so long back. The bottom ones do look a bit of a buggah to get at but theyre not so bad. You cant use a socket but I got in with a spanner ok.

autoperformance. They have an ebay shop. My local Halfrauds didnt have ANY grease nipples as boy racers dont do grease

Bogus
            Last edited by Bogus; 28 July 2007, 21:46. Reason: Added stuff and removed duff link
            Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
              Theyre M6. I got 10 angled ones off ebay not so long back. The bottom ones do look a bit of a buggah to get at but theyre not so bad. You cant use a socket but I got in with a spanner ok.

autoperformance. They have an ebay shop. My local Halfrauds didnt have ANY grease nipples as boy racers dont do grease

Bogus
              Cheer's mate, i try them then, i had my doubt's about halfords i must admit,

i got a 10mm spanner on the bottom ones (after i s$$$$ped the paint off ) self infilcted wound that tho

Comment

Ah yes, the red hammerite. Looks lovely but thats going to be a pain everytime you need to remove/repair something. Dont forget to put the paint back when you finish, cant be having any blemishes on the ultimate shiny underbody
                Сви можемо

Comment

Ah yes, the red hammerite. Looks lovely but thats going to be a pain everytime you need to remove/repair something. Dont forget to put the paint back when you finish, cant be having any blemishes on the ultimate shiny underbody
                  Hehe yes your right there, i wont be able to get a spanner on anything, i'll have to spend most of my time flitting round with a small brush afterwards,
                  still i expect most of the paint will burn off soon as i start it up (hope the dam thing dont catch fire )

Comment

Hehe yes your right there, i wont be able to get a spanner on anything, i'll have to spend most of my time flitting round with a small brush afterwards,
                    still i expect most of the paint will burn off soon as i start it up (hope the dam thing dont catch fire )

If it is hammerite, then I think it will just bake on harder when it gets hot.
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

boy racers dont do grease
                      not in terms of vehicle maintenance anyway
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

IIRC 1/8th bsp, a 6mm nipple will fit into this size though as well.

a lot of the toyota bolts are standard metric but with a different size across the flats to standard. and any hole you cant get a standard bolt into is just metric fine thread.
                        Last edited by andrewlee31; 29 July 2007, 01:27.
                        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Ordered the nipples Alex quite reasonable aint they, £2.95 for ten,
                          dont have paypal tho (cheque) so i'll just have to fit the wheels and do em when the nipples turn up, give the rest a good greaseing tho, it took loads, probably never been done before,

Comment

Yeah, even with the postage added it comes to about 40p per nipple so I wasnt too fussed about the 2 that I dropped and never saw again. When I did my prop shaft it was already fitted with nipples in all the appropriate places and it was obvious that somebody had been doing them, but the ball joints had no nipples fitted and it took a fair few strokes of the gun to get anything skooshing out of the overflow hole. Thats probably because the sun visor card shows you where to do the propshaft and even if youre not a jap you still get the drift from the pretty picture. Ball joints dont get a mention, you find out about them on here.

Happy greasing, just be careful to mop up the overspill, dont want that ultimate shiny chassis getting mucky
                            Сви можемо

Comment

Seems odd to me the ball joints should have plugs in instead of grease nipples, i'm leaveing the nipples in place, dont see any problem (apart from dirt, but ya clean off any nipple before applying the gun anyway), mine will prob take a load too, i screw'd a longer bolt in to check the thread and it never touched grease wish the track rods joints had em like they used to, dont trust this "sealed for life" stuff,

Comment

Working...
                              X