Fitting Coil Spacers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Coil Spacers.

I've done a search and there's loads of info on coil spacers but can't find a simple answer. I had the Milners 20% stronger springs fitted about 6 weeks ago and then enquired on the forum about spacers. Stormforce kindly supplied me with a drawing for having the coil spacers made up.

I've had them turned and they're ready to fit. The only thing is my mate did 4 of them as he had the aluminium spare to do them but I assume I only need 2 for the back and then adjust the torsion bars to lift the front?

Is it just a matter of dropping the back axle etc again and fitting the spacers on top of the coil springs? Will I have to compress the springs this time to get the spacers in? Do you just keep turning the torsion bars until the truck looks level or is there a safe distance to set them at before it puts excess strain on something else?

Sorry if this has been covered before but I always like to have as much info as possible to hand before I start a job.

Thanks for any help (if I only need 2 spacers then I will have 2 for sale).

Jim.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 13 August 2007, 20:25.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Hi, Yes, just fit the spacers as you would new springs. eg. jack-up high and insert spacers. Spring compressors will help but is not necessary. Make sure the spacers are seated correctly and you may have to remove the rubber moulding at the top. As for the torsion bars only go up about a 1.5" from std. height. I`m interested in the spacers if they are cheaper than Roger Brown in US. pm me a price if you like.
    cheers,
    chris
    ps. you may need to drop the panhard-bracket if they are 2" spacers but should be ok for 1.5".
    Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Hi Chris, recovered from Weardale yet mate? I was still aching on Tuesday from camping out!

Thanks for the info. Will post a price for the remaining 2 once I've fitted mine (don't want to send them out if they don't fit!)

Thanks again.

Jim.

Comment

Just about to give the truck a proper jet-wash but front wheel bearings are now worn and brakes are poor after last weekend. I also fitted the Milner 20% springs. I dont want to go too high and wish to keep the stock shocks so fitting coil spacers is my last lifting mod! Are they 1.5" spacers??
        As said- I had my eyes on Roger Browns` which cost about £60 incl. shipping. so please give me 1st option on the spare set.
        cheers
        chris
        Powered by Toyota!

Comment

No problem mate. How does £40 including postage sound?

Will let you have first option if price is acceptable.

Comment

Read through a load more old post and eventually found this:

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/spacers.htm

Sometimes there's so much info on a subject that it takes a while to find what you're looking for and patience isn't one of my strong points I'm afraid!

Comment

there's a drawing for these
              would anyone be ever so nice and send me a copy of it.....
              would be most greatful

Comment

i'd imagine you will have to use spring compressors, but if you put them on before you jack the truck up you'll only need to tighten them down enough to stop the spring extending as you jack up the chassis.

Don't forget when you're doing the torsion bars you need to jack the front so both front wheels are off the floor and support it by the chassis, not the wishbones. I think about 8-12 turns should give you about 1.1/2" - 2" lift on the front. It's worthwhile giving the adjuster nuts a few sprays with WD40 or similar in the few days before you adjust them too.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Hi Jim,
                  Please can you keep the second set for me. I`ll pm you with a plan!
                  Come to think of it spring compressors will make it a lot easier. I did my springs without them and had to jack up higher which means disconnecting more things. Are they 1.5"/38mm?
                  cheers,
                  chris