Towing Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing Question.

Just after the views of the forum population really, I'm looking to by a caravan but at the moment the old girls suffering from a bit of saggy bottom syndrome...Do i...

(A) Just put uprated springs on the back?

Or

(B) Go for a full 2" lift kit from roughtrax?

Will the 2" lift be too high?

Help out the towing virgin please?

Originally posted by Quicka
    Just after the views of the forum population really, I'm looking to by a caravan but at the moment the old girls suffering from a bit of saggy bottom syndrome...Do i...

(A) Just put uprated springs on the back?

Or

(B) Go for a full 2" lift kit from roughtrax?

Will the 2" lift be too high?

Help out the towing virgin please?
    it will depend on what you want to spend really.If you don't really want a lift then just go for the milners 20% uprated springs and they shoud be fine for towing
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Go for the 2" lift - dunno about Roughtrax though (Somebody will advise what's best no doubt)

You can always use a drop plate to correct the towball height ......

This just happens to be part B of my grand plan .....

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

20% Stronger springs will be fine & a quick fix. It all down to time & money
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

Go for the 2" lift - dunno about Roughtrax though (Somebody will advise what's best no doubt)

You can always use a drop plate to correct the towball height ......

This just happens to be part B of my grand plan .....

Ha Ha!! Thats what i wanted to hear!

Now i can justify getting the lift kit! Woo Hoo!!

Cheers Bob!

Comment

Tony's doing a service and a couple of jobs on ours at the moment - I'm a little concerned about the saggy rear so he's going to have a look and see if it needs any attention

My only problem is finding a way to justify the wheel spacers that it needs ......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

id just put stronger springs on TBH...

...unless you want a lift anyway...
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I've got the LA Supertrux 2" lift kit fitted to mine, with ES9000 shocks. It's got a realy firm ride, that allows to get away with silly cornering, and tows a dream. But I did have to fit an adjustable tow hitch as it towed slightly nose up, and some people firm the ride too firm.

With my sisters truck I just wacked milners 20% stronger springs. She's happy with it, and her husband loves it, says that if he puts the shocks on "hard" it handles just like a normal car, and tows superbly.

So the choice is yours really, they both have good and bad aspects. The quickest, cheapest, and easiest is the 20% stronger springs.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

Tony's doing a service and a couple of jobs on ours at the moment - I'm a little concerned about the saggy rear so he's going to have a look and see if it needs any attention

My only problem is finding a way to justify the wheel spacers that it needs ......

Just BUY them dont be shy. Mine has spacers on & she looks good.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Hi Folks,
                    Suspension lifts are great for off-roading, view of the road and looks but to put it quite simply TOWING IS BETTER AND SAFER WITH NO LIFT and just heavy duty springs.
                    Last edited by chrisinflight; 28 July 2007, 21:36.
                    Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinflight
                      TOWING IS BETTER AND SAFER WITH NO LIFT.
                      Is this true if you use the heavy duty shocks?
                      I only ask (and I'm not saying your wrong) because as I said above I have the LA SuperTrux 2" lift with ES9000 shocks and the towing is much improved than before.
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                        Is this true if you use the heavy duty shocks?
                        I only ask (and I'm not saying your wrong) because as I said above I have the LA SuperTrux 2" lift with ES9000 shocks and the towing is much improved than before.
                        Hi Maverick and all ,
                        The new springs and shocks have firmed up the ride- which has been a vast improvement to the old saggy, soft springs.
                        If you have the same firm shocks and springs with no lift it will tow better due to lower centre of gravity. Using a drop-plate is fine but this means you still have weight high up and weight low-down means stability. Theres nothing wrong with towing even with 3-4 inch lifts providing the tow-ball and hitch sit more or less level. If you tow everyday, like me, then my advice would be to have heavy duty std. height springs and shocks. If towing is occasional then go for the susp. lift.