Bl00dy 4x4 Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bl00dy 4x4 Drivers

I got this from a Caravan FORUM.It all started when we had to leave Ripple by Jcn 1 M50 to travel the 35 miles home to Leominster, which normally takes about 1 hour.

Not on Friday.

First knowledge to us was at 3pm when our lorry driver turned up and said that the village was flooded and he'd only just got through. This was despite us having local radio on all day. All the radio was stating was concerning Hereford and the flooding of the main long stay carpark.

So we decided to pack the kit in the van and leave asap. Our trusty battered Fiat Ducatto burst into life and off we headed for Worcester as the M50 was un-accessable due to floods under the motorway bridge. We only got about 6 miles before we had to turn off towards Pershore due to abandoned vehicles blocking the roads!! Steadily we found deeper and deeper floods but the old girl made it through even two feet of water couldn't stop her.

Finally we got back onto a main road from Pershore to Worcester, but only to be stopped in a huge traffic jam which 2 hours later turned out to be caused by just two abandoned vehicles(cars) just left where they conked. After another hour we got to the now closed M5. Again the volume of traffic was horrendous that was trying to get round the Worcester bypass. So we decided to cut across the city, which was almost deserted and only took 15 mins instead of the usual hour or more.

At last we made it to the A44 heding for Leominster or as we thought!! But yet more chaos due to abandoned vehicles left in the road and a three foot flood. But again the trusty van made it through. Eventually we got to Bromyard and again were stopped in our tracks. The river at the bottom of the bypass had burst it's banks and flooded the mobile home park. We were told by the fire service that the bridge was in danger of collapse and that we could not go over it. I pointed out that they actually had a 16 ton fire engine parked right on top of the bridge but the penny didn't drop.

Then a local engineering company's van came down the outside of us and speed over the bridge. I asked why and was told he was a part time fireman. But I pointed out that he is a civilian until he is in the fire station and so what was good for us was good for him, but that fell on deaf ears.

Of coarse they had not thought of lining up the fire engines to provide a temporary barrier, just incase a car slipped towards the mobile home park and then allowing vehicles one by one to pass. As the bridge could obviously hold their 16 ton fire engine.

So off we toddled again, turning round and heading this time for the Worcester to Hereford road. All went well untill we got to the bottom of Fromes hill!! There was an almighty flood of about 3 feet depth stretching for about 3 to 400 yards. Having already gone through this depth before we decided to give it a go.

About halfway through we met a Toyota 4X4 comming the other way but on our side of the road and he was doing about 30 mph, far too fast to be safe for a start. Then his bow wave and wash hit us. Bearing in mind we werea Fiat ducatto high top van, the water washed right up the windscreen and swamped the engine. Not only that but the force of the water pushed us sideways into the deeper water.

Now what do we do? Matey had buggered off leving us stranded and water was at floor level in the van and she would not start.

Me and my mate got out into the flood water and physically pushed the van weighing at least 2 tons, 150 yards to safety. There we met a chap who had had his car swamped and helped him to push it to the side of the road. A few moments later a Land rover came along and the driver asked us if we were ok. I enquired as to the availability of jump leads but he had none, but to our suprise the car driver did.

So now I stripped off the air filter of the van to get rid of the water in it and we got into action, jump starting the van from the running Landie. After several attempts she burst into a very spluttery life, but never the less, she was running. We let the guy go as he wanted to get to his stranded daughter, and now we set about starting the car. Eventually we got both going.

As we packed away the kit a 4X4 pickup passed us and then proceeded to stop to chat with lorry drivers who were patiently waiting for us to unblock the road.

Now with a diesel engine that resembled a two-stroke motor bike and liable to die at anytime, we came up behind the pickup. Our driver rev'd the engine but no hint was taken. So I jumped out. I walked upto the chap and calmly asked him to move on, but got ignored. So I then asked if he enjoyed a chat, as if he did then if he would like to be able to chat tomorrow then he might just shut up and move on, before I made him a dental appointment!! As we had a van that was only JUST running and we wanted to go home.

Well that's the printable version.

He did move then rather rapidly.

We then managed another 5 miles before our next flood. This time it was about 4 foot deep and not drivable through. But a friendly farmer was on hand with his tractor and was doing a stirling job of towing vehicles through. So we switched off and waited for our turn. Finally we got towed through for no fee and were again on our way.

There ws still more floods to drive through but eventually some six and a half hours and over a hundred miles later we got home.

What amazed me Friday was, the amount of stupidity about. Car drivers who drive through floods with water far too deep and washing over the bonnet. Then abandoning their cars in the middle of the road instead of pushing them to the side. Or even better just not starting to go through floods until they see just how deep it is by watching a high ground clearence vehicle go through.

Then the amount of 4X4 drivers who showed no regard for others and even thought that the floods were their "play ground". On that point it's no suprise to me that other drivers hold little respect or regard for them.

On the other hand. The farmer in his Landrover was a true knight of the road, as was the chap with his tractor. Both of whom, helped others in need without lining their pockets and even when they had a need to get to their family.

While everyone had a place to go and a desire to be at home in the warm, doing it with a bit of thought for others should not fall by the wayside.

We adopted the approach that if we helped others they would help us even to the point of loading our van with pedestrians when we were towed through the flood so that they could get to the other side without having to wade and be a danger for the tractor driver.

A reply:
    Toyota 4x4 doing about 30mph in about 3 feet of water??? Yeah right.

"the amount of 4X4 drivers who showed no regard for others and even thought that the floods were their "play ground"".

You should have taken the plate numbers and reported them to the police.

"On that point it's no suprise to me that other drivers hold little respect or regard for them"

Very nice of you to speak on behalf of all drivers.
    Last edited by marky; 25 July 2007, 14:07.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

bet you wished you took ya surf now then m8 lol

Comment

It was'nt me! Full story here http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newf...O=13&FM=344201
      (\__/)
      (")_(")

Comment

Care to ID the forum Mark ?

I've got quite a few caravanning friends who just happen to use 4x4's and would just love the opportunity to respond to that post !

Whoops - too slow (again)

Given that it's PC I'm not at all surprised - I stopped using that forum years ago cos of the stupidity of some of the people that posted .......

Last edited by Predictable Bob; 25 July 2007, 14:11.
        Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Marky

You should get that published matey

What an experience I was enthralled.

Glad you got there in the end. Hope the rain stops soon.

Best wishes to all you flood victims out there been watching the news this morning. I can't remember things ever being this bad in UK flood wise.

Cheers JB
          www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Links above you

IT WAS'NT ME!!!!!

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newf...O=13&FM=344201
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

[QUOTE=marky]

About halfway through we met a Toyota 4X4 comming the other way but on our side of the road and he was doing about 30 mph,

QUOTE]

Getting that kind of speed up would take a hell of a lot! an in 3ft of water, well the intake HAS to be under 3ft isnt it?

I think the problem with all of it is, they tar us with the same damn brush!
              So you meet one a$$hole in a toyota and then suddenly everyones a total a$$hole!

Think of the times when its been raining/snowing! The amount of pics people have put up here of the recoverys they made! And no for no profit too, I think TonyN got some fish and chips which is a great sign of appreciation on behalf of the driver, But Tony didnt say "oi no chips, no tow"

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                sorry m8 thought it was you doing the journey lol

Comment

I think we must have been chapping the keys all at the same time

Comment

ONE bad Apple
                    You lot Jumping the GUN again.
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
                        You powers of OBSERVATION are suffering Get them BEDS made
                        Last edited by marky; 25 July 2007, 14:20.
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

n i thought coppers were observant lol

Comment

HUMOUR is good on here today aint it.
                            (\__/)
                            (")_(")

Comment

Beds are all done hoovers been round Mrs Highlanders at work so I thought I'd stop by here so you could all take the P1ss

Comment

Working...
                              X