Sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunroof

Well I finally bit the bullet and replaced my Sunroof. I've had a new unit I got off Bob Hilux at the end of last year that has been sitting in my garage while I waited to pluck up the courage to do it.

Well it's done now. Took about 4 hours to do, and was actually fairly easy if time consuming. All the side panels off, headlining off, 10 bolts, 4 nuts, 4 pipes and a few wires.

Mind you if I was going to do it again I wouldn't do it without an assistant. Holding up the (quite heavy) sunroof unit while lining up the bolts ain't easy.

I've also lengthened my roof rails by moving the front mounting point (got to fill in the holes properly - at the moment they just got silicon in them) and using new tube I got from B&Q although I'm now going to search the web for some 21mm stainless tube - need about 3 1/2 metres so if anyone knows where I can get some it'd be great.

While I was up there I also ran cable for some roof lights that I will mount on the Thule roof basket, and ran in my external GPS antenna as well.

So all in all 4 hours wasn't bad for that lot. Plus it didn't rain much either.

Cheers

Originally posted by lucky
    Well I finally bit the bullet and replaced my Sunroof. I've had a new unit I got off Bob Hilux at the end of last year that has been sitting in my garage while I waited to pluck up the courage to do it.

Well it's done now. Took about 4 hours to do, and was actually fairly easy if time consuming. All the side panels off, headlining off, 10 bolts, 4 nuts, 4 pipes and a few wires.

Mind you if I was going to do it again I wouldn't do it without an assistant. Holding up the (quite heavy) sunroof unit while lining up the bolts ain't easy.

I've also lengthened my roof rails by moving the front mounting point (got to fill in the holes properly - at the moment they just got silicon in them) and using new tube I got from B&Q although I'm now going to search the web for some 21mm stainless tube - need about 3 1/2 metres so if anyone knows where I can get some it'd be great.

While I was up there I also ran cable for some roof lights that I will mount on the Thule roof basket, and ran in my external GPS antenna as well.

So all in all 4 hours wasn't bad for that lot. Plus it didn't rain much either.

Cheers
    Good job mate.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Well done Andy, another one for the FAQ Technical section

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy
        Well done Andy, another one for the FAQ Technical section
        Yeah, I'll do a write up.

And By the way.

Thanks a lot to Bob for the sunroof. It all works a treat.

Comment

Working...
        X