More Expense!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Expense!!!

Took the truck to frogs Island yesterday to get the steering sorted. I had booked it in for caster, camber and toe in and out.

Got there 5mins before the 8am booked in time. Waited for nearly 40mins before the guy behind the desk told me that the mechanics car had broken down on the A34 (throttle cable) I thought to myself "the mechanics car breaking down?", this isn't looking good.

When he finally turns up at 08:50, I had a quick word to tell him what the symptoms were and what I wanted checking. I said here is a sheet with the caster and camber details to which his reply was,"we can only do toe in and out mate, can't do caster and camber". Nothing was said about their inability to do the job I wanted when booking it in.

After 10mins he comes in and asks me a question. I go into the wksps with him to see the truck sitting on the concrete floor, all rigged up with the tracking tool, BUT, the front wheels were sitting directly on the concrete, not on those discs you need the wheels on so that the wheel moves freely when he is adjusting the tie rods. Then when he tries to adjust them, I find out they are seized solid.

So a call to my mate at Toyota yesterday, and I ordered two complete tie rod assemblies with all fittings. I also ordered the idler arm bushes, seal, cap and nut. They are now in awaiting collection. I love this dealer, parts ordered turn up the next day, fantastic service!!!

I will not be taking it back to Frogs Island, as they obviously can't do the job right. I'm going to have a dig around to find the best place to take it.

Bl**dy nightmare.
    Last edited by M35A2; 13 July 2007, 17:30.

I take all my trucks to Micheldever that need a 3 way alignment, they used to be really good, as the guy who did the alignments had a Surf.

The new guy has taken some 'training' by me, as the first truck I took up for him to do he said "It would be tricky, its an import, we've never done one before....." So I took all thier previous printouts of trucks they'd aligned for me in the past and he got the hint!!! They are OK, and have all the machinery to do it properly.

You need to book it to do the caster and camber, they'll only do the toe in/out most times as they are normally very busy.

Toyota should be able to do it but charge about £90.

About the adjusters, 9 times out of 10 they are always rusted solid, it takes a while with WD40, a big pair of stilsons and sometimes some heat to free them off, I always do it first, before going up there so they have no excuse. But have always got them freed off in the end.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      I take all my trucks to Micheldever that need a 3 way alignment, they used to be really good, as the guy who did the alignments had a Surf.

The new guy has taken some 'training' by me, as the first truck I took up for him to do he said "It would be tricky, its an import, we've never done one before....." So I took all thier previous printouts of trucks they'd aligned for me in the past and he got the hint!!! They are OK, and have all the machinery to do it properly.

You need to book it to do the caster and camber, they'll only do the toe in/out most times as they are normally very busy.

Toyota should be able to do it but charge about £90.

About the adjusters, 9 times out of 10 they are always rusted solid, it takes a while with WD40, a big pair of stilsons and sometimes some heat to free them off, I always do it first, before going up there so they have no excuse. But have always got them freed off in the end.

Hi Tony, thanks.

I thought about letting them take the tie rods off and giving them some heat, but they didn't impress me with hanging around for nearly an hour and noticing the guy not doing the job properly made my mind up. At £60ph labour, it might have worked out dearer than buying new. So I decided to buy brand new tie rod assemblies complete with the track rod ends, clamps, castle nuts and split pins. I'm going to cover the threads in copper grease so they (hopefully) wont seize in the future. I also ordered the Idler arm bushes at the same time. Thought I might as well do that before getting it tracked as there is some play in it!

I've asked my mates Toyota dealer about doing the C/C/T in and out, but they haven't got the equipment.

Is it the same guy who does the steering at the place you go to? What have the results been like? Nice even tyre wear?

By the way, do you grease the idler arm shaft when replacing the bushes, or leave it dry? Also do you know what the torque setting is for the track rod end nuts on the tie rods and the nut on the Idler arm?

Cheers dude.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

thanks for doing this for me tony. when i got mine done after leaving yours, he came over and said doubt if we will be able to do it, these are normally rusted solid. to which i said, dont worry, some hard working young fellow has kindly spent the time and freed them up
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
        X