2" Panhard Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" Panhard Drop

A few quick questions regarding panhard drop kits...Haven't seen this (in bold) asked before but so here goes.....

The panhard bar is under tension (I presume because it pulls the suspension out sideways and downwards when doing a lift..) so when i use a panhard drop kit it should:

1. sit correctly / as close to standard?
    2. relieve side / downwards tension at the same time? and hence..
    3. correct rear wheel alignment and allow rear to lift very slightly

So, would these 3 points be correct (or am i talking rubbish) ?

I know that a lift only pushes the rear o/s wheel out a few mm's so i presume it does the same (if unproportionately) for vertical lift.

So for the sake of finding out I have splashed out on a new (tesco's) measuring tape - and hope someone can make or sell me a 2" Panhard Drop Kit... Please

see vince (bushwacker)for the panhard drop kit.
    Last edited by surfenstein; 10 July 2007, 22:22.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thank you - sending pm

Comment

Because the panhard rod is fixed to the chassis one end, and the end of the axle the other, as you move the axle away from the frame, the rod will move in an arc, fixed at the chassis end, so the axle will move side to side as the axle moves up and down.

Lowering the fixed end of the rod (or lengthening the rod) by the same amount as the lift puts the axle back centrally under the truck, instead of slightly to one side without doing anything.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by virgo
          A few quick questions regarding panhard drop kits...Haven't seen this (in bold) asked before but so here goes.....

The panhard bar is under tension (I presume because it pulls the suspension out sideways and downwards when doing a lift..) so when i use a panhard drop kit it should:

1. sit correctly / as close to standard?
          2. relieve side / downwards tension at the same time? and hence..
          3. correct rear wheel alignment and allow rear to lift very slightly

So, would these 3 points be correct (or am i talking rubbish) ?

I know that a lift only pushes the rear o/s wheel out a few mm's so i presume it does the same (if unproportionately) for vertical lift.

So for the sake of finding out I have splashed out on a new (tesco's) measuring tape - and hope someone can make or sell me a 2" Panhard Drop Kit... Please
          Do the maths before you get too worried.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
            Do the maths before you get too worried.
            yea its all to do with trigonometry.(apparently)
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
              yea its all to do with trigonometry.(apparently)
              Wasn't he the road sweeper in Only Fools and Horses
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Indeed! I've spent a good 2 hours doing just that tonight working out flight plans.

Good old, Trig O'Nometry. Not only did he give us Guinness, but also the triangle relationships!

Comment

if i get a drop kit i will take measurements before and after & see if it makes a difference

Comment

Just work it out - assuming you can remember secondary school trig.

Length of your panhard rod as standard (horizontal, and then raise one end of it by 2" (or whatever your lift is). Then measure the HORIZONTAL distance the panhard covers.

To save you working it out, the effective length is reduced by 0.22" which makes gnats all difference.

However, if the rod isn't horizontal as standard, the maths will be slightly different, and the effective length reduction will be greater.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      However, if the rod isn't horizontal as standard, the maths will be slightly different, and the effective length reduction will be greater.
                      Bingo, and don't forget as the suspension moves up and down, ie cornering, accelerating (obviously this only applies to a 3.0 ), braking, etc... the effective length changes as well.

So basically, you don't need to worry to much about it.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                      X