Nasty noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty noise

I had an expensive sounding noise coming from my Hi-lux today.

Sounds like gears not engaging fully on the front transmittion area, ( sounds like ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz) I was driving along and the noise started, it stopped and then started all the way home this was in 2 WD 4WD seems still to work.

This was just driving along at a constant speed when the noise started any ideas of the problem maybe?
    I Love Wales

You hit a sleeping policeman by any chance? Sorry couldn't resist, hope you sort it out mate

Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven
      I had an expensive sounding noise coming from my Hi-lux today.

Sounds like gears not engaging fully on the front transmittion area, ( sounds like ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz) I was driving along and the noise started, it stopped and then started all the way home this was in 2 WD 4WD seems still to work.

This was just driving along at a constant speed when the noise started any ideas of the problem maybe?
      matt if you wanna bring it round here i can have a quick look for you.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
        matt if you wanna bring it round here i can have a quick look for you.
        Cool, may well do that, I have not had a chance to have a good look really

Cheers
        I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven
          Cool, may well do that, I have not had a chance to have a good look really

Cheers
          ok mate let me know how you get on.is it a gear crunching noise/diff pinion crown gear.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Sounds like a lathe when you don't let the motor stop before changing gear, the noise does not seem to have any relationship to engine RPM, but dipping the clutch stops it, it only makes the noise when moving and not all the time.

I know it's not easy to have ideas when someone just writes about it
            I Love Wales

Comment

Old post revisted, noise stopped after a bit and returned next time I went off roading.

Thought it was the centre bearing............but

it was not the centre bearing, although the old one was a little rough.

Stripped out a hub today, bearings were loose but it was not that either.

Turned out 99% sure it is this http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=207&vid=892

I'm driving around without one drive shaft at the moment and it's fine, I should get the new bush tomorrow to be fitted next week.

Had to get a http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=203&vid=513 as well, it had to much play in it IMO too pass the MOT. (This off roading is high Maint.)
              I Love Wales

Comment

Working...
              X