Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marky - re. your email....

I was busy making this.....

It's an accoustically damped box for my old laptop to sit it when it's in the truck powering the screen on the dash....

It will sit just under the passenger seat, and the velcro hooks and the bolts from the fans secure it on the carpet to stop it sliding about....

There are two 12v fans on the front, that when finished, they will plug into the power socket I installed in the passenger footwell and push air through the box over and under the laptop.....
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Originally posted by MudSurfer
    I was busy making this.....

It's an accoustically damped box for my old laptop to sit it when it's in the truck powering the screen on the dash....

It will sit just under the passenger seat, and the velcro hooks and the bolts from the fans secure it on the carpet to stop it sliding about....

There are two 12v fans on the front, that when finished, they will plug into the power socket I installed in the passenger footwell and push air through the box over and under the laptop.....
    Ah! I've been all day getting the map software on my new laptop, can't get the bl00dy wireless ntwork to bite though

Are you going to run GPS, if so what one?
    Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

The bottom of laptops tend to get hot so you need to sit it on something to give airflow to the underneath.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        The bottom of laptops tend to get hot so you need to sit it on something to give airflow to the underneath.
        The bottom of the box, at the back, where HDD is, has a vent right under the HDD and there is a hole next to the air vent on the side to let hot air out from the HDD enclosure. The fans on the front push air across the the back, and the base is raised so there is 10mm clearance under the box where the HDD is, and the front has velcro to stop it sliding, so there should be enough cooling/ventilation - but time will tell.....

Comment

Originally posted by nishikigoi
          Ah! I've been all day getting the map software on my new laptop, can't get the bl00dy wireless ntwork to bite though

Are you going to run GPS, if so what one?
          another Andrew - we're everywhere!!

I've got Memory Map with 1:50 and 1:25 scale maps for most of the UK, coupled with a NMEA USB GPS receiver.

There is AutoRoute loaded on the laptop too - which can be used for route planning, but I've also got TomTom 5 on an ipaq that is usually attached to the dash..

Comment

The bottom of the box, at the back, where HDD is, has a vent right under the HDD and there is a hole next to the air vent on the side to let hot air out from the HDD enclosure. The fans on the front push air across the the back, and the base is raised so there is 10mm clearance under the box where the HDD is, and the front has velcro to stop it sliding, so there should be enough cooling/ventilation - but time will tell.....
            Also the base below the CPU gets very hot so you should be fine.
            P.S you have work email
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
              Also the base below the CPU gets very hot so you should be fine.
              P.S you have work email

That was funny - no need for me to buy one now, but I've sent it to some of the guys in the office with thumb-prints on thier heads.....

Comment

another Andrew - we're everywhere!!

I've got Memory Map with 1:50 and 1:25 scale maps for most of the UK, coupled with a NMEA USB GPS receiver.

There is AutoRoute loaded on the laptop too - which can be used for route planning, but I've also got TomTom 5 on an ipaq that is usually attached to the dash..
                Very similar to my old setup, just building a new one with a laptop mount and new faster laptop, I've got TT5 on an XDA Exec in a powered mount.

Havuing just sold a Disco, I@m starting the whole lot again in the surf (well 4-runner). New stereo ordered with 4" screen,USB,DVD.TV and just sorting a DIN mounted CB to go under it! Plus the power for the laptop, GPS/CB ariel and new alarm with turbo timer/remote start I'll be busy!
                Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

Working...
                X