ive now got one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ive now got one

im now a real surfer ive just bought my 2.4ssrx from skiper210 off this site it is a real beauty and an absolute treat to drive 340 kms from dursley, glos to grimsby lincolnshire and still didnt want to get out of it, but the misses made me take her out valentines night and all that. but i would just like to say thankyou to everybody who offered me advice when i was hesitant to buy one i will never look back now they really are has nice to drive has you guys say.i had a brand new ford ranger 4wd with a crewcab for a weeks trial the other week and it was,nt has comfortable has the surf it was a 3.0 but felt more like a 2.4 and really wasnt that impresive.
    can i also say thankyou to kev davies who i bought the surf off he picked me and misses up from the train station 10 miles away, and was a really nice bloke to deal with .Thanks a million

RIGHT NOW FOR THE REAL STUFF WHEN SHOULD I BE USING THE OVER DRIVE DUDES........
    CHEERS CHAPS...........

Originally posted by funkynobber
    im now a real surfer ive just bought my 2.4ssrx from skiper210 off this site it is a real beauty and an absolute treat to drive 340 kms from dursley, glos to grimsby lincolnshire and still didnt want to get out of it, but the misses made me take her out valentines night and all that. but i would just like to say thankyou to everybody who offered me advice when i was hesitant to buy one i will never look back now they really are has nice to drive has you guys say.i had a brand new ford ranger 4wd with a crewcab for a weeks trial the other week and it was,nt has comfortable has the surf it was a 3.0 but felt more like a 2.4 and really wasnt that impresive.
    can i also say thankyou to kev davies who i bought the surf off he picked me and misses up from the train station 10 miles away, and was a really nice bloke to deal with .Thanks a million

RIGHT NOW FOR THE REAL STUFF WHEN SHOULD I BE USING THE OVER DRIVE DUDES........
    CHEERS CHAPS...........
    don't bother with overdrive, it's for keeping in a low gear when going up steep hils and stuff like that.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I only turn my overdrive on when I go over about 60 (3,000 RPM ish) to step the gearing up and drop the revs for economy and engine wear etc. Around town I leave it off as it holds my revs up and is less sluggish. Up steep hills diesels prefer to rev rather then to labour so turn it off then. You get the idea !!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
        I only turn my overdrive on when I go over about 60 (3,000 RPM ish) to step the gearing up and drop the revs for economy and engine wear etc. Around town I leave it off as it holds my revs up and is less sluggish. Up steep hills diesels prefer to rev rather then to labour so turn it off then. You get the idea !!

Andy
        aren't you talking about ECT?
        overdrive is a "4th gear" as the auto box only has 3 speeds... the point of overdrive off is to knock it down a gear to keep your speed up when climbing a hill when towing when you want to hold it in 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
          aren't you talking about ECT?
          overdrive is a "4th gear" as the auto box only has 3 speeds... the point of overdrive off is to knock it down a gear to keep your speed up when climbing a hill when towing when you want to hold it in 3rd.
          i think thats what he meant
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

dunno... round town you wouldn't go into overdrive anyway?

Comment

You've gone and done it now. You are going to be obsessed with the beast.
              I drop mine into overdrive when I am cruising at anything over about 55MPH. The ECT is great for towing or seeing Paj's off on hills, by keeping you in each gear a little longer.
              This is my first (private) automatic and just lately I have been "using" the gearbox, instead of letting it change gear automatically. I reckon i'm using a little less fuel.
              Enjoy the beast and be sure to get it MUDDY!
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                You've gone and done it now. You are going to be obsessed with the beast.
                I drop mine into overdrive when I am cruising at anything over about 55MPH. The ECT is great for towing or seeing Paj's off on hills, by keeping you in each gear a little longer.
                This is my first (private) automatic and just lately I have been "using" the gearbox, instead of letting it change gear automatically. I reckon i'm using a little less fuel.
                Enjoy the beast and be sure to get it MUDDY!
                DONT - i really mean it, use the gearbox manually for everyday use. They are not set up to do that on a regular basis. ONly use it for holding in a lower gear for going down steep hills or off roading.

You will cook the clutches and destroy the pumps in the box if you do it too often.

I can't quite remember why it is but it's something to do with the pumps. On some autos - especially ones used for part time drag cars, you can get shift kits which increase pump pressure and allow manual changing (often accompanied by a sequential changer).

I did this mode on my Camaro along with a High stall converter.

Cheers

Comment

Sorry you may have missunder stood. Yes the etc is on around towns etc for a bit more zip but on bigger roads or exits from roundabouts etc I leave the overdrive off until I pick up a decent amount of speed then switch it on, other wise the revs drop to fast with the auto gear change into 4th. It seems if I hold it in 4th until around 50-60 mph then switch the o/d on i keep up with other 4x4's and general traffic flow.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X