Thinking of buying one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying one!

I'm thinking of buying a surf as a family bus and for some mud and green lane entertainment.
    I've got some questions i need some help with though. I ve got about £5000 to spend and there seems to be enough around at that price. Should i look for a 3litre or be happy with a 2.4?
    What sort of mpg should i expect, it's got to be better than my 2.1 litre VW camper!
    Most of the cars i see seem to be auto, which normally i don't like, but i've been told they are better for off road use. Is this true?
    How much should i trust the mileage on imports?
    Also when do they need the timing belt/chain changing?

That seems like a lot of questions but i would be grateful of any help with any of them. Plus is there anything i've missed that i need to no/

Thanks big time.

Originally posted by Joe Cocks
    I'm thinking of buying a surf as a family bus and for some mud and green lane entertainment.
    I've got some questions i need some help with though. I ve got about £5000 to spend and there seems to be enough around at that price. Should i look for a 3litre or be happy with a 2.4?
    What sort of mpg should i expect, it's got to be better than my 2.1 litre VW camper!
    Most of the cars i see seem to be auto, which normally i don't like, but i've been told they are better for off road use. Is this true?

That seems like a lot of questions but i would be grateful of any help with any of them. Plus is there anything i've missed that i need to no/

Thanks big time.
    IVE HAD MINE SINCE SUNDAY AND LOVE IT TO BITS IF YOU HAVENT DRIVEN ONE YET YOU NEED TO ITS GREAT I WAS A BIT CONCERNED ABOUT THE 2.4 CYLINDER HEAD BUT IVE MANAGED TO FIND ONE THATS HAD A NEW ONE ,ON A RUN THE OTHER DAY I SEEMED TO GET AROUND ABOUT 27 MPG HAS FAR HAS THE OTHER QUESTIONS I DONT KNOW ENOUGH TO ANSWER THEM BUT SOMEONE ON HERE WILL THEY ARE REALLY HELPFULL. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURF HUNTING
    CHEEERS ADAM

Comment

Thanks big time.
      Joe, there's a wealth of information on this site. Look to the top centre of the screen, and click the search button. Enter in what you are after, eg: mpg, and there's heaps of info. Should occupy you for a while!
      Pete

Comment

Thanks big time.
        1) General consensus is get a 3.0L if you can afford it. You might struggle to find one at £5000. However a 2.4L with a replacement head is also a good bet.

2) Mpg 27-20 mpg is the normal range for both diesel engines.

3) Autobox is fine both on and off road.

4) Milages- some dealers are trustworthy- others not. Average Japanese miles is less than uk 12,000 miles and more like 10,000km we believe on this forum. If you're offered a J plate with 46,000 km you have to wonder how 'real' it can be. Your 'average' 10 year old Surf should have around 100,000 km on it- be wary of anything differing too wildly from this (of course there will exceptions- but you ought to be able to tell something about it by wear & tear).

5) Timing belt replacement is 100,000km intervals.

6) If buying a 2.4 take someone with you to inspect the car to spot signs impending head failure. If buying from a dealer make sure any warranty covers cracked cylinder head- otherwise walk away. I don't want put you off buying a 2.4 but it has happened to a number of us.

Happy Surf hunting.

Nevillef

Comment

Surf,s

Hi Joe looks like you have done some homework l think the 3.0litre is the better one to go for but if you can find a 2.4 with head done then l would say go for it they are just as good as a 3.0litre. l have 2.4 & 3.0litre Surf,s for sale "BUT my 2.4,s have not got new heads on.
          On the other hand they both are running as smooth as silk no probs at all.
          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Cheers

Thanks for all the advice.
            So i should look for a 3.0 if i can find one then!

Comment

PICKED mine up on Friday

And 700 miles later I'm very happy.
              Well worth selling the house for.

With 77000 km on the clock for a 10 year old it is surprisingly immaculate. (-Except for the lakeland mud and morcambe bay salt and sand I have managed to plaster all over it. )
              It truly is a comfy car with the cloth seats: 400 miles over hills and valleys, motorways and through a few previously unpassable 'Unsuitable for vehicles' tracks, all in one day. No strange noises or needles nudging red... Only when in LOW on full engine brake on a long 25% downhill, the 2.4 wasn't braking all that much!
              I am so far very impressed with this 3 door model, and look forward to the drive to Mallorca in the next few months.

The Diorama suspension copes very well, especially on HARD setting. I have heard the driving position is unpopular, but it takes me straight back to the BMW e30 I owned for two years.

They say 'Get a man in a BMW before he's 30, and he'll buy BMW for ever'.
              I say I would have broken the BMW this weekend, and the SSRX wasn't even challenged. I don't own a BMW any more.

My steering wheel logo is a touch tacky tho':
              "TOYOTA the unceasing challenger" !

NICE.

Comment

They reckon its mid 20's on both engines (Luv Vdubs too)

Dunno, I've only gone round the track in stickshifters and they are great

Not much

Whenever you take delivery and then every 100,000kms

Welcome

Comment

Working...
                X