SVO and curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by max6674
    Now I got one to throw the spanners into the works. What would happen if you where to put gum terps into the SVO along with acetone.. lower flash point along with more MPG or is the acetone one not as good as its hyped?
    With that one, I can honestly say that acetone will never get within spitting distance of my fuel tank. I know there are people running with it in their fuel, but for me it is just too much of an aggressive chemical. I personally wouldn't touch the stuff.

Comment

Try here

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...m/f/9751014871

A part of a much larger forum with a solvent section
      Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        Knowing that we have a few chemistry types on here, and being of an inquisitive nature, what effect would turpentine, (pure gum turpentine, not the petroleum derived substitute), have upon SVO?
        Matt

Turps and white spirit would have the same effect - i.e. reduction of viscosity and lowering of the gelling temperature. Not sure if one would have a greater effect than the other.
        Following a brief scan through the links provided, most people seem to use turps/acetone to keep fats in suspension in used oil, rather than modifying the viscosity profile of SVO. (graph of viscosity vs temperature).

Some of the writers seem to have a thing about SVO being bad for the engine long term. Given that some members on this forum have done an awful lot of miles on SVO/dino-diesel blends, and the fact that the SVO-slaggers all seem to be makers/purveyors of various types of biodiesel, then I would be inclined to take this with a pinch of salt.

HTH
        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Thanks for giving it the once over Peter. Greatly appreciated. I'll start my experimenting with an easier mind now.

Btw, that bit about the biodiesel bunch slating SVO is widespread. Almost any site that tries to promote biodiesel use does it. Rather than offering unbiased views on each possibility, they all seem to drop into their camp and slag owt else off. Some of the SVO sites are as bad. First thing I picked up when digging out the info from those sites was to ignore anything except proven fact when it came to that specific area of discussion.

Thanks once again.

Comment

Working...
          X