Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      Cheers mate.
      but where would be without you matt
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
        but where would be without you matt
        You mean if you didn't have my dashing wit and charm to depend upon?

Comment

This page is an indicator of why I'm intrigued by this. It's been shown, although no extensive testing has been done on SVO in combination overall, so to speak, that different additives have different effects. But again, no turpentine info.

http://vegburner.co.uk/blends.htm

Comment

Going back to your origonal question, isnt turpentine what Top Gear used when they tested SVO in a diesel a few years ago?

Do you have gallons of the stuff and you want to sell it to us SVO users?
            -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
              Going back to your origonal question, isnt turpentine what Top Gear used when they tested SVO in a diesel a few years ago?

Do you have gallons of the stuff and you want to sell it to us SVO users?
              Never saw that episode, but I believe they used white spirit or turps substitute. Nope. None knocking about whatsoever. This has been niggling me for the last eighteen months or so, though, and now with the means for testing being available, I'd love to find out what the benefits or downfalls could be. I'm willing to give it a test on the proviso that I can get a vague idea beforehand as to whether it won't be detrimental in a severe fashion. Pure turpentine is damned expensive as such, per litre, but I'd like to scratch this itch if possible. Plus, it is a totally natural product. Any plus points would be a boon.

Comment

Just found this quote:

Now adding 1 ounce each of acetone and pure gum spirits of turpentine to each 5 gallons of any blend, seems to help keep the fats in solution to a lower temperature.

Comment

Just found this quote:

Now adding 1 ounce each of acetone and pure gum spirits of turpentine to each 5 gallons of any blend, seems to help keep the fats in solution to a lower temperature.

It would appear there is sanity behind my quirky ideas then. Was there any more info on gum turpentine on that site, or just that snippet? Cheers, btw.

Comment

Just that snippet that was worth reading. It was from some yank mustang owners site or something.

I am now begining to see your way on thinking on this one..

I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything.. ;-)

Comment

Cheers. This is why it's been niggling me. I had a feeling it might be useful, but could never find sod all to back it up.

Have just found a pdf on turpentine extraction methods, which has a tasty little ending.

http://outgoing.bauchan.org/misc/gum-turps.zip

Comment

I just read somewhere that turpentine reduced the flash point of SVO from 77c to 45c, but can I find it anywhere now..

Comment

http://vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/foru...tion=printable

Third post down..

Comment

Ain't that horrid when it happens. You spend ages looking for something, and then lose it when you find it.

Did do some testing a while ago with turpentine, just in a pure mix it in and keep an eye on it fashion, to see if it suffered from any separation problems. Did it over a year ago, and left the mix standing for about six months with no noticeable separation, so it appears to be stable in the regard that it will mix correctly too.

Methinks by the looks of this, unless someone issues one of the don't do it warnings, that I may try mixing a small amount in with the next batch of oil I pop in. There's only one way to find out for definite if it's detrimental. And it would only be a trace amount.

Comment

Intriguing.

Comment

Now I got one to throw the spanners into the works. What would happen if you where to put gum terps into the SVO along with acetone.. lower flash point along with more MPG or is the acetone one not as good as its hyped?

Comment

Working...
                                X