Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
      the current is alternating AC right??
      Alternating alternating current?

Comment

oh might have been mistaken on the first bit
        but we were using high frequency tig welding. and you only get a frequency if the current is alternating AC right??
        you have high frequency just to start the arc for dc tig. two thirds of the heat builds up on the positive side of a dc welding circuit that why the end of the tungston melted when you swapped polarity

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          An alternative for you Ian....

http://www.durafix.co.uk/

Click on APPLICATIONS and whatch the video.
          Saw a demo of something like that at a kit car show, looked great so my mate bought some, couldn't get it to go at all on a butane torch, simply wasn't hot enough. Might be ok if you got access to a mapp/propane/oxy torch, may even be ok with a butane/mixed gas indoors, but your average blowtorch won't touch it outside. The demo was indoors and was with a butane blowtorch, maybe there's just a knack.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
            The demo was indoors and was with a butane blowtorch, maybe there's just a knack.
            Generally you need propane or upwards, unless it's a really small piece. Larger pieces will sink the heat quicker than butane can supply it.

Comment

Your not gonna get it to heat too well outside especially if it's a bit windy, i've had trouble soldering plumbing outside before now, i'll be doing it inside on fairly small work pieces and i'm useing a bigger bottle and torch than the hand held ones, think i can get it hot enough, i've managed brazeing with it in the past, anyway worth a try for 20 quid,
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Alternating alternating current?
                tut. pick on me again hehe.. damn forgot the comma!
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by jamsironwork
                  you have high frequency just to start the arc for dc tig. two thirds of the heat builds up on the positive side of a dc welding circuit that why the end of the tungston melted when you swapped polarity
                  oh cool. was never shown that. just pretty much given the welder, watched someone else and then told to do it. this must be why the earth strap melts away eventually. cheers
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

oh might have been mistaken on the first bit
                    but we were using high frequency tig welding. and you only get a frequency if the current is alternating AC right??

No, the HF starts before the main amps kick in and give you what you need to weld. If you stand away from the earth or bench and have the tungsten about 1/2 inch from your finger and click the button you will see the HF arc across to your finger like mini lightening.
                    -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
                      No, the HF starts before the main amps kick in and give you what you need to weld. If you stand away from the earth or bench and have the tungsten about 1/2 inch from your finger and click the button you will see the HF arc across to your finger like mini lightening.
                      yea done that. annoying sometimes when your trying to weld and all it does is the little sparks and dont actually start.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                      X