WTF are these then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF are these then

I asked my brother in law to see if he could get me a few alloy welding rod for an arc welder from work just to see if i could have a practice, and he got these,
    i take it there not for arc welders? i was expecting something similar to the steel one i have, got a flux coating on em, so what are these for? gas, mig, tig (what ever that is)
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by ian619
    I asked my brother in law to see if he could get me a few alloy welding rod for an arc welder from work just to see if i could have a practice, and he got these,
    i take it there not for arc welders? i was expecting something similar to the steel one i have, got a flux coating on em, so what are these for? gas, mig, tig (what ever that is)
    that looks like tig welding rods.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Those are filler rods for TIG welding.

Comment

Cheers, did'nt think they were for arc, oh well he try'd bless him

Comment

theyre tig rods mate! look at them closely, on one end you will have a squashed/ flat bit and it will say what metal it is... eg 316

dont put them in your arc machine, haha did that once bored.
          also dont reverse the polarity on the tig machine. the tungsten melts into a dazzling bright ball, so bright you cant look at it!
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

can you use your arc welder as a tig welder too?
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
              theyre tig rods mate! look at them closely, on one end you will have a squashed/ flat bit and it will say what metal it is... eg 316

dont put them in your arc machine, haha did that once bored.
              also dont reverse the polarity on the tig machine. the tungsten melts into a dazzling bright ball, so bright you cant look at it!
              Hate to tell you this my old bean, but Ali rods wont have SS coding on them like 316 etc as they are Ali and not SS , and when your welding Ali you have to have the welder set to AC so that the polarity is reversed and back at what ever Hz you set it at. This way it breaks the "skin" on the Ali so you can weld it.. as for glowing, you wouldnt be able to look at the weld with the naked eye anyway.. cos thats just silly and hurts like hell the day after.
              -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

So are you saying i cant weld alloy with an arc welder? it's on old SIP thing,
                Had a go at MIG gasless once but no idea what TIG is all about, i just want to have a go at welding faily thin wall alloy (2mm) together or am i wasteing my time with this,

Comment

They'll look good on the XMAS tree as decorations
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
                    as for glowing, you wouldnt be able to look at the weld with the naked eye anyway.. cos thats just silly and hurts like hell the day after.
                    didnt mean the weld i meant the actual tungsten once you have finished!!! it takes about a second before a ball of molten tungsten drips off onto the bench. mad to see.
                    not a good idea to look at the arc. even if its in your field of view and your not looking at it - it gets you.. not had it for years and dont do it anymore. but a eye wash of milk sorts it out apparently.

so how do you weld ally then? i had some ally and just thought i would try fuzing without a rod with our tig machine. the set up was the same as welding stainless. AC, with +ve earth. as you said all i got was liquid ally under a 'skin'. bit like wax thats started to dry. when i reversed the polarity to a -ve earth with the same AC setting the tungsten melted into that bright ball. it was like a halogen spot lamp at the size of a pea.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

An alternative for you Ian....

http://www.durafix.co.uk/

Click on APPLICATIONS and whatch the video.
                      Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 4 July 2007, 14:18.

Comment

nice find vince!!! think he makes it look a lot easer than it is, but awsome vidio, now what can i make for the truck??????

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                          didnt mean the weld i meant the actual tungsten once you have finished!!! it takes about a second before a ball of molten tungsten drips off onto the bench. mad to see.
                          not a good idea to look at the arc. even if its in your field of view and your not looking at it - it gets you.. not had it for years and dont do it anymore. but a eye wash of milk sorts it out apparently.

so how do you weld ally then? i had some ally and just thought i would try fuzing without a rod with our tig machine. the set up was the same as welding stainless. AC, with +ve earth. as you said all i got was liquid ally under a 'skin'. bit like wax thats started to dry. when i reversed the polarity to a -ve earth with the same AC setting the tungsten melted into that bright ball. it was like a halogen spot lamp at the size of a pea.
                          you would have been set up with dc for stainless not ac, and you cant reverse the polarity on ac as its alternating anyway

Comment

Originally posted by jamsironwork
                            you would have been set up with dc for stainless not ac, and you cant reverse the polarity on ac as its alternating anyway
                            oh might have been mistaken on the first bit
                            but we were using high frequency tig welding. and you only get a frequency if the current is alternating AC right??
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              An alternative for you Ian....

http://www.durafix.co.uk/

Click on APPLICATIONS and whatch the video.
                              That looks like just the job, nice one, thanks Vince, it dose'nt seem to expensive either, think i'll contact em and give it a try, i'll let ya know how it works,
                              i called into tig,mig&arc in portsmouth today and asked the guy there, he's given me a welding rod to try, it's a brand new line and they only have a few samples, he has'nt try'd it yet himself and he wants me to give him a ring and report on it, hehe, test pilot for a welding firm eh! wot next, apparantly there so new they dont have a price per box as yet, we'll see

Comment

Working...
                              X