Towball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towball

Hi All, anyone know the towball weight on a surf?: I shot the drummer last week!!

Originally posted by ticktocktaffy
    Hi All, anyone know the towball weight on a surf?: I shot the drummer last week!!
    Can you be more precise
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Towball weighs about a kilo..... ......
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

One assumes you mean the towing capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
          Towball weighs about a kilo..... ......
          Is it a normal one or the ALKO one (swan neck)
          More info here http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/FAQ/...ion=Nose+Loads
          Last edited by marky; 3 July 2007, 20:12.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Its a standard Witter towball not the Alko type and I wanted to know the nose weight limit, ie, A Disco is 150 kilos but a Mitsubishi L200 is only 104 kilos , when Ive finished with him, Im going after the Keyboard player HA HA

Comment

Originally posted by ticktocktaffy
              Its a standard Witter towball not the Alko type and I wanted to know the nose weight limit, ie, A Disco is 150 kilos but a Mitsubishi L200 is only 104 kilos , when Ive finished with him, Im going after the Keyboard player HA HA
              Ha ha ha sorry am I missing something or have you lost the plot....
              How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

i thought the legal / recommended max for any vehicle was 80kg?
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                  i thought the legal / recommended max for any vehicle was 80kg?
                  most vehicles have a clearly defined rear-axle max. load, but do not define what the maximum weight can be placed in the boot (trunk). In this case, 75 kgs are applied to each of the 2 front seats, and 75 kgs are applied across the rear seat and the weight is measured under each rear tyre footprint. The difference between the sum of the rear tyre footprint weights and the maximum represents the available load in the luggage compartment – or more importantly – as a nose-load imposed on the tow-bar.

How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

I haven't been able to find an official max noseweight for the Surf BUT since the 3rd gen is based on Colorado running gear and my (Colorado) Witter towbar is rated at 140kg that's what I take to be the max noseweight.

Realistically for most purposes it's irrelevant as the max load on the caravan or trailer chassis is likely to be far lower anyway - for instance the Alko chassis is only rated at 100kg !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Caravan Club recommendation is maximum of 7% of MTPLM, as is the caravan manufacturer's limit usually, unless a lower limit is specified for the car or by the towbar manufacturer.

I've taken mine up to 97kgs, which is the max specified for my van, without any problems, although I usually try to run it at around 80-85kgs as it's quite stable at that noseweight.

I couldn't find a specific limit for the Surf but based on similar vehicles and towbars, I would guess that up to about 110-115kgs should be OK.
                      Mike G

Comment

unlike a car a 4x4 noseweight is not that important, the important thing is you load it proply, if the towball is set at the average height from the road, the caravan should sit level if loaded ok.

i loaded mine up on friday before the bala run, checked the level then out of interest put the van on a set of scales = 78-80 kgs.

cannt do any worse than a $$$$$$ i saw on friday heading into wales in a volvo estate towing a twin axel fleetwood his ball s were nearly dragging on the road, he was breaking ever tow rule going, would hate to see what would happen if a kid ran out in front of him
                        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Thanks for all the answers, Im running mine at about 80kilos, I was just interested to know what Toyota stated the weight at

Comment

Working...
                          X