More veg ..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonyppe
    definatly smoother and a tiny bit less diesel chug.. it must be cos the veg has higher octane rating than diesel, and burns slower ie retards timing
    (whats i.e.
    My truck is DEFINITELY quieter burning 50:50.

I thought veg had a lower calorific value than diesel, so less bang for the buck.

And wouldn't higher octane mean faster burn?

IANAE though...

Veg oil is £10 odd (£10.17 I think) in Costco at the mo. Got 20 litres left which is goin in tomorrow...

Anyone know how much it is in Booker? I'll sort out an account if it's reasonable cos thats closer to me than Costco or Makro.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      My truck is DEFINITELY quieter burning 50:50.

I thought veg had a lower calorific value than diesel, so less bang for the buck.

And wouldn't higher octane mean faster burn?

IANAE though...
      dunno about calorific value, but a higher octane means a longer burn. may be the word slower is wrong. thats why the jap petrol cars need a good petrol as they are all tuned for the higher octane rating.
      if you stick 95octane in a car made for 101 octane you will get pinking. this is because the 95 burns quicker and before the piston is past tdc enough to be effective.
      if 101 is used then the timing can be advanced even more as it burns longer and takes a little bit before its all completely gone...
      the way i look at it is oil has a high octane rating petrol is in the middle and gas has a low octane rating. (i used to think the octane rating was how big their carbon molecule chain was, but now i know i was wrong on that one but a similar principle applies. if there is a big chain then its going to take longer for them to break up and give energy)

whats IANAE?
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

.....I thought veg had a lower calorific value than diesel, so less bang for the buck.......
        Taken from http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/veg-oil3.htm

Some owners have experienced a drop in economy when using veg-oil, the following may offer an insight as to why this might be...

The calorific value of Vegetable oils is around 37,000 kJ/kg, whilst Diesel is around 42,000kJ/kg.

This means that Diesel has around 10% higher calorific content per kg, however the rate and measurement of your engines consumption is by volume not weight.

The density of veg-oils is up to 10% higher than Diesel, so the weight of oil consumed is higher than diesel for the same volume, this means the the calorific content available from veg-oil is higher when measured volumetrically, and should be nearly equal to that of Diesel.

A very small loss of energy by volume can be expected, however this is only slight, and should be in the order of 5% at most.

This can therefore translate into a potential drop in economy of up to 5%. This is however assuming a switch to 100% veg-oil. Use of a 50% mix would therefore yield an increase in consumption of up to 2.5%. On a vehicle returning 25mpg, this works out at 0.625mpg worse off, this should hardly be noticeable, and far outweighed by the environmental and monetary savings.
        Personally, when I first starting using veg-oil I was keeping records of my fuel consumption and could detect no difference whatsoever.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
          i.e is a latin abbreviation meaning ... for example.

thats from a common bloke with tattoos and earings! ( for matt) ...
          You're thinking of e.g. (exempli gratia - for sake of an example).
          Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
            You're thinking of e.g. (exempli gratia - for sake of an example).
            What can one expect from the commoners. They try though, bless their little cottons......

Comment

Veg oil is £10 odd (£10.17 I think) in Costco at the mo. Got 20 litres left which is goin in tomorrow...

Anyone know how much it is in Booker? I'll sort out an account if it's reasonable cos thats closer to me than Costco or Makro.
              http://www.booker.co.uk/promotions/booker_basics.asp £9.79...

Comment

Working...
              X