starting the veg oil today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting the veg oil today

ok guys just been to makro and bought 60lts of veg oil, whats the best mix to start with? on the HMRC web site it says that it has to be reclycled veg oil is this right?
    SWIFT AND BOLD

I buy mine from makro too. Just pour two whole 20ltr containers into your almost empty fuel tank (low warning just starting to flicker) then top up with derv. this give roughly a 66/33 mix - which you can run on from late spring to early autumn. when it start getting cooler (late sept) just pour on conatiner in and top up with derv (33/66 mix).
    also buy a couple of new fuel filters - the veg tends to lift all the deposits from the bottom of your fuel tank and carry them in suspension through your system. A couple of fuel filter changes later - you can be assured of a clean fuel tank / system and then just change the filter as per schedule.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

I'd start on a 2:1 derv/oil mix and monitor, personally, but others run higher ratios okay.

Nope, SVO is fine.

Comment

Thanks guys, got the filters from Milners for 3.50 each got three of them. Is it worth changing the filter after the first tank or wait until the engine runs a bit rough.
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Just do a half tank full to start with (25% SVO, 25% diesel) then if you dont like it you can top up with diesel..
          -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
            Thanks guys, got the filters from Milners for 3.50 each got three of them. Is it worth changing the filter after the first tank or wait until the engine runs a bit rough.
            They all say wait till it runs like Sh1t then change it

Comment

be brave, run on 100% veg, you're down south where its alot warmer, surf will be fine...trust me, i got a gold one so obviously i know more than the rest of these guys...
              i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

I was brave-then i replaced the top seal-easy 30min job, Then the seal near the lines to the injectors started leaking-took one replacement pump and 3 days(and a trapped siatic nerv)to fit.
                It may be ok during the summer to run near to 100% but if it gets cold you want at least some heat or thin it down.
                Ray

Comment

Re

Hi,

I'm gonna do this as well very soon (will be heading to Makro this week).

Have also got to get some filters etc.

My question is:-

Does the veg oil make more smoke or less?

Have often heard "less" so owners tend to use it before the MOT etc.!

Is this the case?

Cheers,

Gary

Comment

mine is less smokey on veg but i have slightly oversized injectors so maybe it overfuels on diesel?
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett
                      Hi,

I'm gonna do this as well very soon (will be heading to Makro this week).

Have also got to get some filters etc.

My question is:-

Does the veg oil make more smoke or less?

Have often heard "less" so owners tend to use it before the MOT etc.!

Is this the case?

Cheers,

Gary
                      Haven't noticed any difference in smoke level (no smoke anyway), but certain gasses measured in the MOT are reduced.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                      X