Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux Surf Versus Pajero

Hi All

Im recently joined, because Ive become interested in the Hilux Surf.

I currently own a 1997 Pajero SWB, but I need a bigger vehicle, but rather than naturally go for a LWB Pajero. I am seriously thinking of getting a Surf instead.

I would like to hear from anyone who has previously owned a Pajero, but then converted to surf, including the pros and cons of both vehicles in their opinion.

Also, what are the pitfalls to look out for when buying a Surf.

In addition, is it right that any newly imported 4x4 is tested on the emissions and therefore no longer qualifies for the taxation group of PLG = £180.

Many thanks

Terry

my mate has a lwb pajero. its $$$$. lol
    i have a 2.4 2nd gen surf and it can go more places than his paj can. all i have is bigger wheels (and now 2" lift) but the pajeros seems to sit lower than mine.
    the seated position is better in the surf. on my recaros (that came from factory) i sit a little lower to the chassis - feels more like a car and less like a transit.
    our dash at clocks look more modern and less 80s style.
    pajero means a naughty word... apparently...

there has only been one instance where the pajero got somewhere i didnt and thats because he let an absolute nutter drive that had it on two wheels flat out up this hill. i wouldnt do that to my truck. im surprised nothing broke!
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Ive never owned a pajero before so i cant comment on what they are like to drive etc!

Surfs... I love them! They are very comfortable with or without the recaros mentioned, I would imagine a pajero has very similar spec regarding electric gizmos. The surf has 5 electric windows, electric mirrors and a electric sunroof if you get a model with one fitted.

With the backseats down you get a sh!tload of load space if you need a lot of room. If the seats are up you still have one of the largest boots on any car on the uk market! The back seats are not its strongest point. My 6' somet mate can fit in no problem... I just dont think he could handle a long journey, Rear leg room is not generous!

Parts are easily available and not too bad on price! If you want to do any mods, again they are not expensive!

You should expect to get about 25mpg on the 2.4 and 3.0 models, which is not bad for a large 4x4.
      The 2.4 has some issues regarding head failure. BUT most about now are normally done. Apart from fresh imports. the 3.0 has also had a couple of issues but to prove im not just jealous i didnt get a 3.0! It seems few an far between!

a fresh import should not come under the new tax laws provided its older then 2001. Any 2nd/3rd gen surf should be fine at the £200 a year tax.

Personally i love surfs! I owned a top of the range 300tdi Disco.... Went back to a surf a month later!

Comment

At the end of the day, if you're wanting it for offroading, most true 4x4's, (not the soft roaders), will cope amicably if you prep them for the situations you're expecting to put them in. By default, a lot of 4x4's are, from the factory, a compromise in setup between offroad and onroad performance, as most of their use will be onroad. A bit of modding will sort that though. In my honest opinion, I'd say go for whichever you personally prefer of the two, and then mod it if you require. I love the Surf, but that's not to say the Paj's are cr@p. It's merely personal preference.

With the tax thing, I think it's vehicles after 2001.

Comment

I had a Challenger/Shogun Sport which is a better comparison as Mitsubishi based it on the Surf! The differences between Challenger and Pajero will be mainly design rather than quality or performance.

The Challenger was a great as a car, really comfortable ride and all the gadgets. I did a lot of gravel trails and river crossings in it which it was fine with, but it never saw mud as it wasn't in the UK.

The earliest Challenger you'll get is 96, and compare to the 3rd gen Surf. IMO you get as good a car with the 2nd gen 3 ltr Surf, and as they're up to 3 years older so cheaper.

I've had to take the door cards off both. Broken electric window switch in the Challenger and window popped out of runners in the Surf. Based on that experience I'd say the Surf is marginally better made.

The Challenger had handy cubby holes in the boot floor, the Surf has handy cubby holes in the boot sides. Otherwise the interiors are very similar, except for the opening rear window and drop tail gate in the 2nd gen. The main thing that the Surf lacks is roof rails, so I fitted my own!

There's not a lot between them, you can get a 2nd gen Surf cheaper than an early Challenger, or a Challenger cheaper than a similar age Surf. You pay yer money...

For a buying guide try http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

Wax on, wax off

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            At the end of the day, if you're wanting it for offroading, most true 4x4's, (not the soft roaders), will cope amicably if you prep them for the situations you're expecting to put them in. By default, a lot of 4x4's are, from the factory, a compromise in setup between offroad and onroad performance, as most of their use will be onroad. A bit of modding will sort that though. In my honest opinion, I'd say go for whichever you personally prefer of the two, and then mod it if you require. I love the Surf, but that's not to say the Paj's are cr@p. It's merely personal preference.

I think you're spot on, I go offroading with any marquee (being an off-road tart ) and could not really say a Surf was either better or worst than a Paj off-road, lift, tyres and confidence / experience seem to make the most difference IMO

There is also the issue of if you’re prepared to risk damage

Price may come into it also, which one would give you the most for your money, I have seen some SWB Paj’s that look very good value for money IMO

If my Hilux pickup every died I would maybe replace it with a MK3 Surf if I had the money at the time, but then again I love Toyota's
            I Love Wales

Comment

when you have gone and washed your mouth out ...............go buy a Surf
              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                LAND ROVER

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Before I bought my surf - i was in the market for a 4X4 after handing back my company terrano. I really wanted a paj LWB Exceed. I test drove one from a local dealer and loved it. - was very similar driving position / ride quality to terrano. was almost about to sign on dotted line when my wife asked me if I liked the "big blue thing in the corner" (hilux surf 3.0 td).
                    I had a look round, hopped in and took it on a test drive. No comparison. I instantly bought the surf and never looked back!!
                    The ride in the paj was good - but compared to the surf was like a pig on stilts. very rolly and wallowy. engine sounded beefy - but could not deliver.
                    and the back seats in the paj were a gull wing stow away type affair - so not a lot of room in back for my dogs.
                    I've had my surf for over two years now ( longest I've owned a car in 20 years) and service it myself - only costs are service items and consumables - pads / exhaust etc etc.
                    The only downside to my surf is the rear door opening operation (rear slung spare). swinging spare carrier open then finding keys to lower window then open catch then open lever - quite a carry on when you've got two histerical GSD's in the back desperate to get out for a walk.
                    Go on - you know it makes sense!!!!
                    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Hi Terry, until 2 Months ago I had a Paj' 2.5tdi SWB. I'd had it for about 8 Months and loved it. My only complaints were the MPG and it was sluggish on the road.
                      To be honest, i'd always preferred the look of the Surf, but they were so expensive....... Then I bought one!
                      Mines the 3.0 td and when first drove it the acceleration was more like my mates 4.6 petrol Range Rover than the Paj'. Also, I live in a small town, and there are probably about 8 Pajeros, but only 1 Surf
                      The surf, is better on performance and MPG.

Mike

Comment

no contest

no contest fella ive had both the old squre paj and the newer one . then 4 years ago i saw the light and got me toyota . four years ive had it . not one breakdown . never not started . loads of grunt. very comfy and quiet . thats if you aint got 2 great 3inch stainless pipes hanging out the back like mine you wont regret it .
                        black n tan
                        black n tan
                        yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven
                          I think you're spot on, I go offroading with any marquee

I've never been off road in a marquee, but I would imagine that the guy lines would get caught on the bushes and the wedding party would fall out on the corners.........
                          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                          X