Day 2 on the green side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 2 on the green side

Having put a 50/50 mix veg oil mix into the truck yesterday, I went out in the truck today and it started fine but ran quite lumpy also for the first few minutes it blew a lot more white/blue smoke than normal. I went out for a drive and it ran fine and no smoking.

Is this the norm? on start up a little rough running and more smoke then to settle

Cheers

Mark

Originally posted by madcampbell
    Having put a 50/50 mix veg oil mix into the truck yesterday, I went out in the truck today and it started fine but ran quite lumpy also for the first few minutes it blew a lot more white/blue smoke than normal. I went out for a drive and it ran fine and no smoking.

Is this the norm? on start up a little rough running and more smoke then to settle

Cheers

Mark
    yep thats the norm.mine is the same on start up but i run more svo aswell but as long as its cheap i don't care for the first few mins
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
      yep thats the norm.mine is the same on start up but i run more svo aswell but as long as its cheap i don't care for the first few mins
      That make me feel better...Thanks

what % do you run and is that with any mods

Cheers
      Mark

Comment

That make me feel better...Thanks

what % do you run and is that with any mods

Cheers
        Mark
        i am running 100% at the moment with no mods and it seems to be ok
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Does quiten the engine a tad as well, does it not? Or is that just with mine being a rattly bugger?

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
            i am running 100% at the moment with no mods and it seems to be ok
            now do you think it makes any difference veg oil wise that your is a 3Ltr and mines a 2.4 because I am tempted to up the ratio...by ??50% then....only while its warm...ish

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              Does quieten the engine a tad as well, does it not? Or is that just with mine being a rattly bugger?
              Yes, I noticed that as well but thought it was my imagination..how does it do that!?

Comment

Yes, I noticed that as well but thought it was my imagination..how does it do that!?
                You're mixing oil in with the fuel. Top end lube.

Comment

Top end lube.
                  Thats always good...!

Comment

now do you think it makes any difference veg oil wise that your is a 3Ltr and mines a 2.4 because I am tempted to up the ratio...by ??50% then....only while its warm...ish
                    The engine type shouldn't make a difference. The only thing to remember is that the higher the SVO concentration, the more stress you are putting on the fuel system. SVO needs to be around coolant temp, 80 degrees +, before it's viscosity is close to standard derv. I'd honestly not recommend going above 75% without inline heating, if you're concerned about engine longevity. The spray pattern is also affected by higher viscosity fuel, leading to a possibililty of piston crown burning, pitting of the cylinder walls, etc.........

Comment

The engine type shouldn't make a difference. The only thing to remember is that the higher the SVO concentration, the more stress you are putting on the fuel system. SVO needs to be around coolant temp, 80 degrees +, before it's viscosity is close to standard derv. I'd honestly not recommend going above 75% without inline heating, if you're concerned about engine longevity. The spray pattern is also affected by higher viscosity fuel, leading to a possibililty of piston crown burning, pitting of the cylinder walls, etc.........

Think I will keep to 50/50 for a while and look at how much inline heating will cost. I would like to go to WVO but not sure about the time and effort and cost.

Thanks for the advice Matt

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Think I will keep to 50/50 for a while and look at how much inline heating will cost. I would like to go to WVO but not sure about the time and effort and cost.
                        It's the safer option for the time being. WVO isn't necessarily a lot of effort or cost, as generally leaving it to settle for a week or two before syphoning off the top clear oil through a filter will generally suffice. The one thing I'm never gonna' be convinced of with WVO is the quality. Fats and acidic content aren't things I'd like to tempt fate with. There are a few on here who run WVO with no apparent problems upto just, but I personally think WVO is only fit for conversion to biodiesel. It's horses for courses, though. The cost saving would most likely cover the cost of any repairs its use incurred, so take your pick.

Philip, (the one on here who has his leg in plaster at the mo'), is the Fuelcat man. Might be worthwhile having a word with him regarding the heated Fuelcat.

If anyone is wanting to have a diddle at creativeness, (and is liable to be passing through this way to pick some up), I have some aluminium blocks here which might be adapted for inline coolant fuel heaters. They're the blocks out of smoke machines, so that is almost their original purpose. Would just need some modding for coolant pipes rather than 240V elements. I'll pop a pic or two of one up later if anyone is curious.

Comment

In fact, sad git here must've been meaning to ask this question weeks ago, 'cos the pics are already on the server. Here's the pics of the block:

Think the big centre hole is a 3/8 BSP thread, and the two small holes at the bottom are 8 or 10mm.

Comment

It's the safer option for the time being. WVO isn't necessarily a lot of effort or cost, as generally leaving it to settle for a week or two before syphoning off the top clear oil through a filter will generally suffice. The one thing I'm never gonna' be convinced of with WVO is the quality. Fats and acidic content aren't things I'd like to tempt fate with. There are a few on here who run WVO with no apparent problems upto just, but I personally think WVO is only fit for conversion to biodiesel. It's horses for courses, though. The cost saving would most likely cover the cost of any repairs its use incurred, so take your pick.

Philip, (the one on here who has his leg in plaster at the mo'), is the Fuelcat man. Might be worthwhile having a word with him regarding the heated Fuelcat.
                            Thanks Matt I will look into the Fuelcat and read up on WVO for a winter project!

Cheers
                            Mark

Comment

here's a couple of research projects I was playing with until my knee op.
                              first one is a sort of electric heater utillising a glow plug and a temp switch set inside an aluminium body which machined from solid bar stock. still waiting to test it on car......

second was an idea i saw on a veg forum somewhere. I sourced an old renault/lucus coolant heated fuel filter housing (laguna I think??). the unit allready has a coolant matrix cat into base. I machined out the existing thermostat assembly and replaced it with another glow plug. I now need to fit a temp switch somewhere on the housing to control glowplug output.
                              both of these units have the glowplug in direct contact with fuel for more efficient heating.

one day I'll get round to testing / fitting!!!!!
                              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
                              X