• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Needed

Does Anyone Know How Much A 6 By 4 Ft Sheet Of 2mm Ally Chequer Plate Cost
    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

a quick search got me this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIAMOND-BRIGHT...QQcmdZViewItem

why do you want aluminium?? why not 304 grade or 306 grade stainless steel (dont get 409 grade it rusts)
    then if you get the stainless steel it can be nicely TIG'd together if u need.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i want to make some rear door cards and ally is the lightest and cheapest option

Comment

Originally posted by kiowa
        Does Anyone Know How Much A 6 By 4 Ft Sheet Of 2mm Ally Chequer Plate Cost
        Last I bought cost me £45 for a 2500x1250 sheet of 5 bar, I think you can get thinner than 2mm or perhaps investigate a different pattern that could be easier to cut, I use Blackburns www.blackburnsmetals.com (used to be Baco)
        update....cricketweave and checkmate? (used on fire appliances) are available thinner )stucco is a bit floppy and doesn't look the job)
        Last edited by fatfires; 27 June 2007, 20:21.
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

nice one thanks for that guys

Comment

I think you can get thinner than 2mm or perhaps investigate a different pattern that could be easier to cut,

i have a plasma cutter so shouldent be to hard i hope

Comment

http://www.sesmetals.co.uk/

Or call 01706 716326 and ask for Sasha.. They are not local to you but should be able to help you.. and Im sure they do either 1mm or even 0.8mm chequer plate.
              -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                why do you want aluminium?? why not 304 grade or 306 grade stainless steel (dont get 409 grade it rusts)
                then if you get the stainless steel it can be nicely TIG'd together if u need.
                Alloy can be TIG'd too. If it was me personally, it'd be aluminium every time. Hate stainless.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                  Alloy can be TIG'd too. If it was me personally, it'd be aluminium every time. Hate stainless.
                  you cannot tig aluminium without the propper environment. from what i understand there has to be a chamber thats air tight and filled with an inert gas like argon.
                  in the past where ive tried to weld ally, when the arc strikes the metal it seems to melt but there is a skin on top of the metal. a bit like wax starting to go hard if that makes sense. if you try to get it hotter so the skin is liquid too it just seems to fall through. then your left with a crater or a hole
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                    you cannot tig aluminium without the propper environment. from what i understand there has to be a chamber thats air tight and filled with an inert gas like argon.
                    in the past where ive tried to weld ally, when the arc strikes the metal it seems to melt but there is a skin on top of the metal. a bit like wax starting to go hard if that makes sense. if you try to get it hotter so the skin is liquid too it just seems to fall through. then your left with a crater or a hole
                    As far as I know, (and I ain't no welder so may well be wrong), it has to be chemically prepped first to remove the oxide layer, but then welds pretty much as normal, (providing the right gas/wire/rod are used). It's just awkward because aluminium is one of the rare metals that has practically no inbetween point between solid and molten. It's literally one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      As far as I know, (and I ain't no welder so may well be wrong), it has to be chemically prepped first to remove the oxide layer, but then welds pretty much as normal, (providing the right gas/wire/rod are used). It's just awkward because aluminium is one of the rare metals that has practically no inbetween point between solid and molten. It's literally one or the other.
                      oh right!
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                      X