Attn Power Kiters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn Power Kiters

It seems Surfs and Power kites go hand in hand ! or maybe its the Boys'n'Toys syndrome but .............

My Birfday coming up and I want a powerkite , can anyone give me some idea what I need .

Im looking at a reasonable priced one , but I want one that will be able to drag / lift me ( 13st 7oz ) (( and falling !!! ))

anyone got any ideas what to go for ,

I have been thinking about the Radsail ones as they are cheap , but is it false economy ?

they are on this site :- http://www.marionville.co.uk

or more exact without the site frames :-

http://www.marionville.co.uk/Kites,%...20page%202.htm

Would a 3 meter do , or would i need to go bigger ?

Thanks gang, Sorry for the Forum Hijack !
    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Give my mate Roy Broadley a call www.kitesup.co.uk. He'll give you honest sensible advice.

PS - He took Tony and I out yesterday - we had great fun flying several different kites, inc Radsail and a Bullet.... I loved the bullet.. and my birthdays not far away...
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that Linda, I will give him a call and see what he has to say and offer. .

What did you think of the Radsail overall ?

Thanks for the PM too !

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
        ... I loved the bullet.. and my birthdays not far away...
        Hummm, there's a not so subtle hint!!!! :gulp: There goes the rear locker for the Surf...........

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          Hummm, there's a not so subtle hint!!!! :gulp: There goes the rear locker for the Surf...........

Get one out of toys r us, still enough left for the locker.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

The Bullets are great kites but if you want lots of lift go for a Blade.

Comment

Like everything else in this life you get what you pay for!
              I have a few bullets and they are definitely not toys.
              I've been airborn with a 1.5 in a decent wind(13.5 stone and failing to lose it) and the 3.0 and 4.0 are a hoot.Pay the extra for the quality ,it will last you longer

Comment

Blimey ... More responses than I thought I would get ...

I can see a hiluxsurf sponsored Powerkite team forming !

Comment

Originally posted by SparX
                  Thanks for that Linda, I will give him a call and see what he has to say and offer. .

What did you think of the Radsail overall ?

Thanks for the PM too !

It was nice, but it was a bigger kite and the wind was too light to do it justice and I personally liked the speed and manouverability of the bullet...
                  Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SparX
                      It seems Surfs and Power kites go hand in hand ! or maybe its the Boys'n'Toys syndrome but .............

My Birfday coming up and I want a powerkite , can anyone give me some idea what I need .

Im looking at a reasonable priced one , but I want one that will be able to drag / lift me ( 13st 7oz ) (( and falling !!! ))

anyone got any ideas what to go for ,

I have been thinking about the Radsail ones as they are cheap , but is it false economy ?

they are on this site :- http://www.marionville.co.uk

or more exact without the site frames :-

http://www.marionville.co.uk/Kites,%...20page%202.htm

Would a 3 meter do , or would i need to go bigger ?

Thanks gang, Sorry for the Forum Hijack !
                      Nightmare...I just typed a massive reply to this and then somehow lost it...so here I go again....!!

I had a Radsails 3m as my first venture into powerkiting about 18 months ago. I went for that one as it was cheap(ish) and came "ready to fly" with all the bits and pieces necessary. It didn't take long to get to grips with and soon I was flying along on my mountainboard with it. The downside to it (I now know) is that it requires a very fine touch to the controls otherwise it would go into a major "death-spin" and wind itself into knots!

Anyway, I got so into the whole kiting thing, I've begun setting up a business to sell kites and the whole "extreme sports" kind of stuff. There was supposed to be a shop by now, but that fell through at the end of last year. I am a dealer for Ozone kites and accessories (www.flyozone.com), and would totally recommend them to anyone. I chose them as I fly Ozone Paragliders and am very impressed with their quality of products. Don't switch off though, it's not just an advert for me!!

I bought myself a 4.5m and a 6m Ozone Little Devil, and the difference between these and the Radsails is enormous. I couldn't believe just how stable they were and the amount of power they generate. The first time I flew my 6m was on Croyde Beach in Devon and there was a nice onshore, not too strong. It popped straight up and just stayed there -rock solid. The pull from the 6 is awsome. I handed it to my mate who's about 17.5 stone and he was literally skiing down the beach with it!

If I was to recommend one to anyone, I'd say the 4.5 is a good bet - much more manageable in a wider range of winds than the 6 or anything bigger. Anything smaller, and again you're limited by the wind. I felt I'd "outgrown" the 3m Radsails after just a very few months. I've since sold another 4.5 Little Devil to another friend and he swears by it too. Even with the 4.5's we get some serious jumps and some major speed up on the mountainboards. I've had the 4.5 half as long as the 6 and I've used it twice as often! Another mate has a Flexifoil Blade II 4m, and while it's a great kite and a little bit smaller than the LD 4.5, it doesn't pull anywhere near as strongly.

Ozone have just put their prices up for 2004 so I'm busy updating my website to reflect these changes. Have a look at the Ozone site though and check prices and stuff on the web. If you see anything you fancy, just let me know and I can almost certainly beat any deal you're offered.

Alternatively if you're near Richmond Park one weekend, give me a shout and come and have a go on one of mine before you make your mind up.

And yeah, the Surf is the perfect vehicle for throwing all that kind of gear in!

Phew....think that was longer than the first version!! Sigh
                      Last edited by Robster; 17 February 2004, 22:57.
                      Rob

'92 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      "You Sir are drunk!"
                      "Ahh yes Madam, but you are ugly and in the morning I shall be sober."
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks Rob ,

That was a post an a half !

Will keep you in mind when buying.
                        Should be sometime soon, just got to convince the missus ..once more

Comment

My first and only power kite is a 3M Buster. First time I flew it the wind was blowing 5-8 MPH and I had fun and a good workout. The second time the wind was 10-15 MPH and I hooked the handles over the dog stake incorrectly and it took to the air, shearing off the dog stake. It got in a right tangle but I managed to unravel it and have another go at flying. EEEEEK! I'm no wimp (15.5 Stone) but it scared the sh*t out of me and it took two weeks for my shoulder to recover. I forgot that 2x wind= 4x pull. A 1m and roller blades was fun though!
                          I really need some instruction or tips from some more experienced flyers before I do myself a mischief!! I,m 46 and don't bounce as well as I used to.
                          And to think that my Physiotherapist said it would be good for my shoulder.
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

knowing next to nothing on the subject.... i'd say to try a few others first before you commit yourself to a big un!

my mate's got a flexifoil 4.8m ( ithink) (is a power kite the same as a traction kite?)
                            that lifted me off the ground easily in low wind and dragged me across a field on my ass... and i weighed in at nearly 20 stone then! (i was much taller though!)

might be worth while going for a smaller one to begin with!
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The Ozones seem too pricey, go for Flexifoil everytime.

Comment

Working...
                              X