Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water and Surf electrics

Hello

Out playing in the floods yesterday I had all the dash lights come on and the warning buzzer. The power steering died but I managed to get through.

The same thing happened on The Strata Florida run (on the bonnet depth of water). Almost but not quite died.

Looks like the same thing happened at the Cowm Quarry to Chris.

What can be done to waterproof the engine electrics?
    Another member of the 'A' team

Its normally when the alternator gets wet, or mud gets into the brushes and it take a while to dry out or the brushes wear down enough to start charging again.

All the idiot lights on is what happens when the alt dies, or a earth strap breaks, this may be a early warning that yours is on its last legs.

Try some water proofing wax spray over the engine bay electrics, used to use it on boat motors and works great.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo

The same thing happened on The Strata Florida run (on the bonnet depth of water). Almost but not quite died.
      Have you had your truck lowered Andy? I dont remember any 'water on bonnet' action at SF - unless you were being a hooligan...
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
        Have you had your truck lowered Andy? I dont remember any 'water on bonnet' action at SF - unless you were being a hooligan...
        Yes he was on the way down ..........the river was deeper than expected
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Hello

Out playing in the floods yesterday I had all the dash lights come on and the warning buzzer. The power steering died but I managed to get through.

Thats what happened to me yesterday while playing in the floods, i would also be interested to wot can be done to help this!
          CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Hello

had the same thing happen to me on salisbury plains andy aint had no prob with it since then touch wood
            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
              Yes he was on the way down ..........the river was deeper than expected
              Oh yeah, I remember him saying something about nearly stalling in the middle of a river...

Other than a waterproofing spray as suggested by Tony, cant relly think of anything. Maybe check out how Pinzgaur do it?
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                Yeah - as Woodzie says - I took a little detour and almost wished I hadn't!!!!

I'll get hold of some the waterproofing wax spray (as opposed to WD40) that Tony suggests and see how it goes in Snowdonia on the weekend

Cheers
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

I'd have thought that HT sealant for distributors would be better than wax spray. The wax spray may run once warmed. Either HT sealant or tropicalising varnish would, in my humble opinion, probably be your best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    I'd have thought that HT sealant for distributors would be better than wax spray. The wax spray may run once warmed. Either HT sealant or tropicalising varnish would, in my humble opinion, probably be your best choice.
                    Its designed to waterproof engine electrics, its a bugger to get off, if only it would come off when warmed up.

Varnish would probably crack as the engine vibrates, and you don't want to spraying it over the alt brushes and commutator.

There is no good way of water proofing the alternator, it needs air flow to keep cool. Most trucks will show the alt warning lights when you dunk them in water enough, then it normally goes away next day or two as things dry out.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      Its designed to waterproof engine electrics, its a bugger to get off, if only it would come off when warmed up.

Comment

Working...
                      X