Thinking caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking caps

I'm looking for summat to use or adapt to use as snorkel tops without paying the daft money they want for a proper ones, they'll need to be handed (left & right) and i dont fancy the cone filter things which are also expensive, so next time your in Robert Dyas, Costco, poundstretchers, what no one wants, sex aid shops, or anywhere think of me and see what ya can see, preferably alloy or maybe s/steel, so i can polish em, then they'll blend in with the pipes,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Not metal, but someone posted a thread awhile ago with instructions on how they made one from fibreglass. Might be worth doing a search. Did look nice once finished.

Comment

without sounding too cheap how about a metal plant pot/small bucket...

fashion something that looks a little like the green badge caps a bit mushroomy...

Comment

what diameter are the pipes ian???
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

There 2" (or a tad just over) mark, i was going to cut and bend the tops (and get you to weld em, if you remember) but decieded not to bother, instead i thought i'd try and make something in alloy to fit on top, in the stylee of the safari ones but make em "handed" so they lean inwards, i'm sure there is summat suitable somewhere in some hardware shop or other, every time we go shopping i'm lookind at all sort's of stuff that i can possible use on the truck, getting as bad as Matt even thought of cutting the fronts off me bull horns and useing them,

I remember the thread Matt, he made a nice job of em too, if only i could work alloy like fibre-glass, would like to keep it shiney if poss, and did'nt fancy silver paint, if i can arc weld alloy i might have a go, grind down the welds and polish up, we'll see, brother in law's gonna try and get me some alloy rods,
          Last edited by POPEYE; 25 June 2007, 20:33.

Comment

what about gutting an old oil filter,then make up some spacers to attach it to the tube. that would polish up ok..
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

be carefull when welding ally,get it to hot and it just caves in.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Why not use some PLANTPOTS THE MODS NEVER STOP IAN
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Yup know what you mean, i'll try dabbing it, see if i can build it up that way,
                  practice on some odd bits first, i managed it on the last car, tailgate metal around the hinge, lot of messing about but it worked,
                  I'm sure someone posted about this cold weld stuff for alloy, may have been solder type stuff, cant remember and could'nt find the post,
                  Think an oil filter would be the wrong shape charley, thanks tho,

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    Why not use some PLANTPOTS THE MODS NEVER STOP IAN
                    If you got some alloy ones i'll have a go
                    Actually mark any bits of your caravan that might do

Comment

hey ian why not get some ally box section,cut two 45 degree angles in it.and one on the front weld it together so it forms a 90 degree elbow and stick some mesh on the inside at the top.then slide it over the pipe and secure with some s/s screws
                      Last edited by surfenstein; 25 June 2007, 20:53.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
                        hey ian why not get some ally box section,cut two 45 degree angles in it.weld it together so it forms a 90 degree elbow and stick some mesh on the inside at the top.then slide it over the pipe and secure with some s/s screws
                        That aint a bad idea mate, i'll have a look on ebay etc

Comment

Why not the single intake idea in the middle of the roof
                          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                            Why not the single intake idea in the middle of the roof
                            shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.i wanna do that mod first.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Ian, if you're wanting really shiny and sexy, it's got to be copper or brass sheet. You know you want to...............

Comment

Working...
                              X