Rear wheel mounted bike carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel mounted bike carrier

I dont have a towbar or roofrack so I was looking at a rear wheel mounted bike carrier. Is anyone else using one? Do you think the rear wheel mounting is strong enopugh to carry weight of the wheel and bikes? Would it make any difference to how secure the locking mechanism of the wheel carrier is.
    I had a thought that the ideal solution is one where you remove the rear wheel and fit a carrier over the nuts which are ther to hold the wheel. the spare could easily fit in the boot and the carrier would be very secure. Has anyone ever seen such a fitting (oe better still be able to engineer one!)
    any other advice on bike carrying appreciated

Originally posted by fergus
    I dont have a towbar or roofrack so I was looking at a rear wheel mounted bike carrier. Is anyone else using one? Do you think the rear wheel mounting is strong enopugh to carry weight of the wheel and bikes? Would it make any difference to how secure the locking mechanism of the wheel carrier is.
    I had a thought that the ideal solution is one where you remove the rear wheel and fit a carrier over the nuts which are ther to hold the wheel. the spare could easily fit in the boot and the carrier would be very secure. Has anyone ever seen such a fitting (oe better still be able to engineer one!)
    any other advice on bike carrying appreciated

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/bike/p...-bike-rack.htm

Comment

ARGOS £60 - holds 2 cycles.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/0360702.htm

Comment

thanks for the replys.
        the argos one is what i was looking at on Sat and seems to be ok but that was what prompted my questions, ie is the sparewheel carrier arm strong enought to support the extra weight and will the locking catch which keeps it cloased be strong enough to stay closed with the extra weight.

BUSHWHACKER link is the exact thing i was after but its a bit steep at £142 me thinks. anyone using one and if so whats the experience

Comment

OK, don't blame me if your carrier breaks...

If you think about the weight of a spare wheel with a big tyre (say 33inch), the carrier holds that quite happily swung out. Now the weight of most mountain-bikes is a lot less than a standard wheel/tyre (except my bike which I swear is made of solid cast iron), so it should be fine when closed. When it's locked in it should be even stronger than open. The catch that holds it closed is not dissimilar to the catch that holds the doors closed, so that's pretty secure too.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Before you go ahead and fit one, may I inquire as to what model Surf you have (neither your profile or post gives any clues), coz if its a 3rd Gen then such a carrier is not really recommended, as the upper bush on the carrier has a tendency to wear causing a rattle in the carrier, any additional weight would naturally hasten such wear.

On the other hand if you have a 2nd Gen, fire away, their carriers seem to last a bit longer
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

bike carrier

I have a bike carrier on the spare. I carry 2 bikes on there around the country whilst lugging a caravan around. No problem until you come to open the door to let three dogs out then it gets a bit swingy!.
              I did buy the 'horns' that Towsure sell but didn't have the correct holes to line it up with. They would probably work if you have the right holes. The carrier I use I got from a boot sale for £8. bargain its a Rhodes carrier. The main thing is to get your bikes are secure and 'settled' at the outset.
              Off to Scotland end of July/ Aug just to catch some midgees!!
              Bikes caravan wife wean and three dugs and a boat and midge repellant.

Comment

its a 3rd gen 1996 3 ltr. I have looked on e bay and there are about 15 wheel mounted bike carrier for sale so will probabaly go for one. Mor -i think for the couple of times a year i would use it there wouldnt be much damamge but thanks for making the point

Comment

bike carrier

Hi, bought the Argos one and it was very good fit, only problem was, it was on the standard spare wheel, the wheels on mine are 31/10.5/15s except my spare which is standard. um? Puncture? Two scruffy mountain bikes dumped on the side of the road
                  Cheers ticktocktaffy Got Him!!!
                  Last edited by ticktocktaffy; 25 June 2007, 20:25. Reason: wrong size tyres

Comment

Working...
                  X