r/r transfer box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r/r transfer box

i dont mean to swear and its propably in the wrong section.but can anyone see why a r---e r---r transfer case wont fit on to the surf.???
    www.overfab.uk

It would be an excellent transfer case - seeing as you got a Rover V8.

I was an engineer in the factory where the RR transfer case was made. Its a beast - better than a Toyota unit -they have a viscous diff in the middle which automatically sends torque to where its needed.

Only thing is if its an older one there is no shift on the fly (not that I ever do anway).

I think the chain drive is rated at 1600lbs of torque - try and break that Mark!!!!!!!!!!

You may have to bash the body a bit though

Oh yeah - they are permanent 4 wheel drive
    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 22 June 2007, 18:55.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
      It would be an excellent transfer case - seeing as you got a Rover V8.

I was an engineer in the factory where the RR transfer case was made. Its a beast - better than a Toyota unit -they have a viscous diff in the middle which automatically sends torque to where its needed.

Only thing is if its an older one there is no shift on the fly (not that I ever do anway).

I think the chain drive is rated at 1600lbs of torque - try and break that Mark!!!!!!!!!!

You may have to bash the body a bit though

Oh yeah - they are permanent 4 wheel drive
      mmmmm.this will be the older unit found on the r.r classics.torqueing of torque.i had some fun in stein this morning pulled out from a junction and lit up the rear end.all the way up into top gear.left black marks about 20mtrs long.great fun
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

p.s is the jag b/w 60 series auto box any good too.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Just thinking - we made two types - the 1361 (older) which would fit in the later mark 1 Rangies or the mark 1 disco (the first discos were reskinned rangie chassis)

There was also the 4462 box which was for the mark 2 rangie - much stronger and bigger unit.

Comment

ill tell you what im thinking.r/r g/box and transfer case.obviously the standard g/box wont take the power so im thinking of changing it for a jag box.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

If I remember from Tony , he says you will need to fit the fuel tank on the other side or cut and shut the tank around the propshaft . I think the rear diff is also offset to align to the prop aswell.
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

We used to make the auto boxes a well. The old 60 series was only a 3 speed I think - but - very smooth and quite strong - it was based on an old american design.

If its a very old rangie unit it might be the LT230 (??? not sure about LR stuff) in which case (forgive the pun) they are gear driven - this makes them tough but a bit noisy. Which is why RR used a BorgWarner transfer case (our unit was much smoother).

BTW - we fitted the RR case into the early Discos without much fuss - used to do it for various suits and high ups!
                Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 23 June 2007, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                  If I remember from Tony , he says you will need to fit the fuel tank on the other side or cut and shut the tank around the propshaft . I think the rear diff is also offset to align to the prop aswell.
                  can i suggest a transit gearbox, pretty tuff stuff, and should fit with a shaft((ooohh errr) change
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                    can i suggest a transit gearbox, pretty tuff stuff, and should fit with a shaft((ooohh errr) change
                    you could but i dont know of any auto transit boxes and the manual box will just blow up as soon as i put the power through it.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                      ok cheers rick ill look into that a bit more.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X