Hilux surf overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux surf overheating

Got a '91(2.4) Overheats worse then my wife. Changed the thermostat, but she's puffin white, so that was wishful thinking. How can I tell if its the head vs the gasket?
    Anybody know any good yota gear heads in the victoria(bc) area?

Originally posted by Nickhilux
    Got a '91(2.4) Overheats worse then my wife. Changed the thermostat, but she's puffin white, so that was wishful thinking. How can I tell if its the head vs the gasket?
    Anybody know any good yota gear heads in the victoria(bc) area?

Have a word with stevo he will tell u everything u need to know he knows his stuff.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

It's the head

Comment

How to tell

There can be a lot of reasons why she over heats but you can never generally see until you take the motor apart or have the cooling sysytem pressure tested.

Reasons for overheating include.
        Radiator cooling fins may have collapsed or blocked through corrosion etc check condition, give a radiator flush, clean vanes

Incorrect/Old radiator cap doesnt hold pressure so fluid boils easier. Check number

Cracked head or gasket blown. Signs include oil/gunge in fluid. Rapid loss of fluid. A pressure test will often pick up a head gasket but if the head is cracked it may pass as the crack doesnt open up till the engines hot.

Water pump cracked or impellor stuffed. If the system has been run dry some water pumps have rubber impellors which fry when dry. no impellor no water circulation.

Thermostat check to see if thermostat works by putting it in a cup of boiling water to see if it opens.

Hope that come be of some help
        matt
        Harden the Fuk Up Princess

Comment

Working...
        X